I Need to vent...(Work Related)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alan Erceg, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

I need to vent...

Work lately has been nothing but a nightmare....

Some background info....I just turned 20, have an associates degree in computer information management, and am currently working for a company that works for a major insurance company.

When i first started the job, things were pretty good, i was fresh out of school, felt like i was making pretty good cash, and was happy with the people i worked with.

A few months down the road is where all the trouble started, getting more and more work piled on top of me, that wasnt my responsibility.

I was hired mainly for Computer Tech Support for the company, which employs about 300 people on 3 floors...w/ a bit of office work thrown in for good measure.

Slowly i got moved away from the computer stuff, and more into the office stuff, which isnt what i worked my ass of for in School.

I started having to deal with all the company's checks, logging them, copying them, distributing them to people, sending them to lockboxes etc...

On top of all this I had been doing some Mail and Fax stuff.

So its like i started out Being only a Computer Tech, now i have all this other stuff thrown at me, ON TOP OF being the Comptuer Guy. Its so frustrating at times. As much as i would like to keep everyone happy at all times, I cant, It's impossible. I work my ass off everyday, come in an hour early every day, often work through lunch, and put in a 10 hour day, and get little to no thanks from people.

I try my best, and put on a smile around the clients all day, and am generally well liked by everyone in the office.

No one there would know that im unhappy, not my co-workers or boss, but its been building up on the inside, and its eating me alive.

I have a desk, but never sit at it for more than a half hour a day, I'm 20, but feel like I'm 40, its just not a good position for me to be in.

Every night at home I'm always worried about what the next day is going to have in store for me, I can never ever go into work with a clear mind, and that sucks.

I look forward to fridays, and dread sunday nights, I dread walking through the office doors every single morning of every single day, when i put on the fake smile to everyone and act like everything is ok, when it really isnt.

I know work isnt supposed to be fun, but I just cant work for the next 40 to 50 years of my life like this...ill go crazy....

Sorry to ramble, hopefully what i wrote is coherent, but i feel much better after venting all this out....THANK GOD TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!!

Tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel....

Later guys,
    Alan

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Yes, the long hours etc. are all part of the computer field, but shuffling papers around is not. That's secretarial type work, and in a company of 300, surely there are at least a dozen people whose job is to do that kind of shit. If you don't stand up for yourself then nobody else will.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

My thoughts too. You are being taken advantage of, and it is up to you to stop it.

Assuming that you do have a boss, then the work that the boss assigns to you comes first. You don't want to screw that up. Show up on time and leave on time, and please, please take those lunch breaks... You get a small one in the morning and afternoon too, where you are allowed to do nothing at all.

I had a boss that cut into my lunch hour the very first day. My bad. On the second day I was out of the building for lunch, and I stayed out every day after that.

If your boss is assigning all of that extra stuff, and you were hired to only do the computer work, then that comes first.

Just say, - "When my break is over.." Practice it, learn it, be it.

Glenn

5. BrettB

BrettB Producer

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

7. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

In many organizations, an employee will be assigned more and more work as long as it is successfully completed. You may need to point out to whoever is assigning you all the extra work that just because you're not whining about it or screwing up, doesn't mean you should be expected to do the work of two or more people.

In other offices, competent employees are assigned the work of incompetent and lazy coworkers because the supervisor is unable or unwilling to confront the slackers.

Good luck.

8. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

10. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

11. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'm a consultant for one of the Big4. Working 10 hour days with a heavy workload and being underappreciated would be a nice change. Thats only a 50 hour week, and a heavy workload is still better than an impossible one. Dont think people are bagging on you. I think your age has a lot to do with it. I'm 25, and when I started, I HATED my job. I thought I was overworked and underappreciated and underpaid. Now I realize that this is corporate america. Everyone does it and most people dont like it, but as long as everyone does it its either do it, or quit. Unless you can organize a mass uprising, of american workers, get used to the fact that if you dont want to work those hours for that pay with that workload, someone will, shitty economy or not.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though we prefer not to see excessively personal threads here in After Hours, there's nothing really wrong with this one. Which is why I am puzzled by Scott's "IBTL" post.

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

15. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

This post has me divided.

On one hand, I genuinely believe the you should enjoy your job. No, that that every day is as fun as an amusement park, but that you can look forward to it (at least most of the time.) If you HATE your job--get out. You are taking years off your life. For example--I do enjoy my work. If I was in a cramped office, solving problems with black and white solutions, and little human interaction (i.e. an actuary) I would go insane and my head would explode. Find what you LIKE to do, and make it your livelihood.

You are 20, there is a very good chance you will be working for another 40 years.

However, on the other hand, the economy right now is TERRIBLE, and even having a job with a paycheck is good. I try in my job to become indespensible to my boss. If that means knowing the accounting, mail system, fax machine, and being the only one that can kick the xerox machine to make it work, even though NONE of that is my regular employment, that is a good thing.

Being a boss, if I had a choice between keeping the compter tech guy, and the computer tech guy that knows the mail system, how to fax, the phone system and is interacting with others in the office, guess who I am keeping?

16. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

You can always look at your information and let the supervisors know that this work in not in your job description.

17. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

18. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Alan, I detest my demoralizing, soul-crushing job also. I've been looking for a new one for over a year with no luck and I just can't afford to quit, particularly in this economy. Here's what I recommend: buy the Office Space DVD and a lot of beer. Invite your friends over.

19. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

20. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer