I need to upgrade, would LOVE help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy Wallace, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Greetings: I would like to describe to you all my modest system in the hopes of getting some ideas about upgrading.

Shall we begin?

Sony STR - D2020 receiver

Sony DVP - S360 DVD player ( I finally got one!!)

JBL Decade 10 front speakers

Realistic Minimus 7 surround speakers

Panasonic 29 inch TV

As this receiver has no center amp, I have been using my TV speakers :-{

Far from ideal, but it does perform pretty good (to my ears at least). A pal has a modest 5.1 system with a sub, and it blows mine away, so I know everything has to go...

The question is, after I upgrade to a big screen, where do I go next? I can't afford to replace everything at once. What are the best steps to replace components? Should I do the receiver first, or speakers, etc?

What are your thoughts about the JBL's? Do you think they would be suitable in a newer system? I love them, and would like to use them if possible, but I am sure there are much better units available for a modest cost. What are the odds of matching a center speaker to these?

I won't even bother you all for an opinion on the Minimus 7's :)

Well, that should give you experienced HT guys enough motivation to point me towards modern technology!

Thank you for taking time to reply

Roy Wallace

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Look into Definitive Technology speakers (www.definitivetech.com) and Yamaha receivers...you will be one happy camper, trust me!
    Good luck!

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Conetent Deleted by Administrator.
    Members, If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, please move along.
    Thanks,
    Steve Simon
    HTF Administrator

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Roy,

First, welcome to the Forum!

For audio, I would start first with a Dolby Digital receiver. Bob is right, ditch Sony. Their upper-line stuff is good, but below that point, you could do better with Yamaha (my favorite) or Onkyo, or another brand. Pioneer, Harmon Kardon and Marantz are popular here, too.

For speakers, it is important to have timbre-matching. If you can get a center and surround speakers to match your JBLs, then of course go for it. If not, however, you might want to consider a complete new set.

Next I would get a sub.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. David Meek

David Meek Extra

Roy, do you have a preference on how you like your audio? Bright, warm, detailed, accurate, etc. . . ? Since you are looking to upgrade your entire system, I recommend auditioning receivers AND speakers together - not necessarily BUYING together, as that could be a serious chunk of change at once. But, definitely listen to the various combinations you are considering as the interactions between components can lead to VERY different sounding systems.

As always, just my 2 cents.

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

What is your budget?

I agree with the others. Ditch the Sony. It is unlikely you will be able to find a matching center for your JVC mains, so you may want to look at Paradigm, Axiom, or Energy speakers. For the sub, look at Adire Audio, Paradigm, Velodyne, SVS, and HSU. Everything starts with your given budget.

7. Roy Wallace

Thanks for the input guys!!
    RW[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Roy Wallace

BTW... The old budget is currently about 1500 CANADIAN dollars...which really takes a beating in the US dollar e- purchase realm.

RW

9. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Since you're already in Canada, you should look into Paradigm speakers, since they're alot cheaper for you Canucks than they are for us Yanks.

As for receivers I wholeheartedly recommend Onkyo and Denon. The Onkyo 595 and 494 in particular are great choices, and quite affordable.

If possible, I would get the receiver and front mains first. Then add a center, then sub, then rears. You might want the sub before the center.

10. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

Hi Roy,

Welcome to the HTF!

One think I would recommend is to forget about the screen/TV for now. You mentioned "big screen" and as a fellow Canuck, I just don't feel now is the time to be getting into that purchase with HDTV coming down the line. We'll be a year behind the Americans (at least!), and we just don't know how it will all play out as of yet. I'd stick with the Panasonic for now. With AVIA, you can calibrate it yourself to improve the picture.

For receivers, you might want to consider the Denon AVR-1602 or 1802. The next step up is the 2802 but that would eat up around $1000-1200. You can check Denon out at SoundsAround. They also carry Mirage speakers, another Canadian manufacturer but make sure you like the bi-polar sound. Otherwise, definitely audition Paradigm.

Good luck!

11. Roy Wallace

Thank you, everyone.

RW

12. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

thanks for the link about sub placement

13. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Roy,

My ideas are a bit different from the mainstream. However,

I am happy with the results.

1) KEEP THE JBLs!!

2) Get a receiver that has:

A) Pre-amp outputs (RCA plugs) for each channel + sub.

B) Center channel equalizer.

3) Sub - small room = PB10 (or equal), big room = PB12

4) With the equalizer, and a late model TV (Sony WEGA)

you may not want the bother of a center channel. Just run

a 'Y' cable from the TV to the receiver's 'center' channel

pre-amp output, tweak the equalizer, and in works very well.

However, you will get lots of negative mail from people who

haven't tried it.

5) Rears - About anything (even Bose) will work fine.

JRS

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Roy, I hate to use this forum to sell my old stuff, but I have recently upgraded ALL my equipment thanks to the great suggestions of this forum. I'm selling my old (7 months) Onkyo DS575x receiver on EBAY. If you are interested here is the link. It would be a tremendous upgrade for you at 1/2 the going price more or less.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1316093142
    But take it from me.. coming from a SONY box set "home theater" package... when I upgraded my receiver.. the difference just blew me away.
    Good luck with your system.
    Jim