I need to make a moderate sized banner

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I am wondering if anybody out there have any suggestions on finding a company that will make a customized banner. Something perhaps a few feet high and a few feet long, like perhaps 3'x5' long.

I am a little familiar with silk screening for custom t-shirts, but would a place that do those do banners too?

How would I get the graphic art design there, would they take a certain computer format that we could design and then email or sent to them?

A bunch of my friends and I are going to be climbing Rainier this summer and thought it would be cool to bring a banner to unfurl at the summit.

Jay

2. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Most any sign company will print oversized vinyl banners. Due to the high level of competition in that field, the prices stay relatively low, especially at the chain stores. For large graphics, most sign and banner makers would prefer vector-based graphics, the preferred application being Adobe Illustrator with any type saved as outlines. If you don't know anybody with access to Illustrator, PM me with what you're thinking of putting on the banner, and if it's simple enough, I'd be happy to build the file for you at no charge.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Do you have a Kinko's? They do them here as well and pretty cheap I thought.

C. Ryan

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yes, we have a kinkos over here, I didn't know they would do banners too!

Jacinto, I can certainly ask around if anybody has Adobe Illustrator, but we're still in the planning stages here. I'll PM you if we need your help, thanks!

Jay

5. Tim Maynard

Tim Maynard Stunt Coordinator

I am a signmaker, and I agree with Jacinto.
    Basically any signshop should be able to make you up a banner of any size.
    Of course it depends on what you actually want on the banner, i.e. text or graphics, but a simple banner with possibly vinyl cut lettering shouldn't cost too much or take too long to produce. Here in New Zealand, a banner at the size you mentioned would probably run somewhere between 70-140 dollars or so, depending on the graphic/text.
    AI files are definitely the way to go, although with prints, we find that often hi res tifs or pdfs will do the job.