I need to disable my integrated video card...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Travale, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have a Cicero system that has an integrated video card/graphics controller. It's a Via Tech VT 8361Vt 8601. At least that is what it says in my system panel. Anyway, I just got a new ATI Radeon 7000(don't laugh, it was cheap and it has got to be better than the integrated 8meg thing). I read that I had to disable the old integrated card before I could install the new one. I asked the salesman at Futureshop and he basically just told me to pay for them to install it. I said I would rather do it myself and just need to know how to disable the old one. I figured they would know how as it is the same store we got the computer. So, he tells me that he can't explain it in detail as it's pretty complicated but he could give me a quick overview. He said that I had to disable it in the BIOS and then remove it in the control panel. That was it. Well, I get home and look in the BIOS settings and can not find anything that has to do with an integrated video card. So I took the plunge and threw in the new one anyway hoping I could fix things afterward. Well, I put the card in and booted everything up and I got the new hardware window and then everything froze.I tried to do this a few times and even went into safe mode to try and get things going in there. Every time I would reboot the new hardware thing would come up even though I had already installed the driver. So, I removed the ATI driver and removed the card and put everything back the way it was just so I could use the computer. I am running Windows ME if that makes a difference. Anyway my whole point is, does anyone know how I would disable my integrated video card so that I can install my new one? Sorry about the extremely long post.

2. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Did you remove or disable it in the control panel? You need to disable it or Windows will re-install it anyway.

I am not familiar with Cicero systems but you may need to set a jumper to disable the onboard video. If you have a motherboard manual try and see if it uses the jumpers.

I fought with my old Compaq integrated video and I ended up having to flash the BIOS and get rid of the crippled Compaq BIOS because it wouldn't let me disable the onboard video. This is a LAST resort as flashing the BIOS can be disastrous.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Richard,

90% of the time there is a setting in BIOS for modern machines. I'd double check that, and then consult the manual.

-V

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Vince is right. Most systems allow disabling of the video card in the BIOS.

However, I have seen some systems where the on-board video is physically disabled by removing a jumper on the motherboard itself. If you look again and still cannot see an on-board video option in the BIOS, check the manual (assuming that you have one) and see if the video is disabled on the motherboard itself.

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Jasen, yeah I did try to disable it in windows before. That is why I kept getting the new hardware found window.

Guys, that's the rub, I don't have the motherboard manual. I found one on line but it was not for the exact same motherboard. Mine is a GA-6VMM and I found a pdf of the GA-6VMM-P. I could not find anything about disabling the integrated card. Of course there is a chance that I saw it but did not realize it. My next course of action is to email VIA and ask them directly.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm looking at the manual right now. Can anyone tell me what wording I should be looking for? I found something that might be it. It is worded like:
    VGA Boot From
    OnChip AGP Primary Graphics Adapter from add-on AGP
    PCI Primary Graphics Adapter from Onboard PCI(default value).

Is this what I would have to change? This seems right but at the same time not since this MoBo does not even have an AGP slot???

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Cute. Go from AGP but with no AGP slot. Don't you love technology? [​IMG]
    You've found the right area to look at. Are those the only two options that they have for it???

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Yeah, those are the only two options in that little subcategory. They fall under the PnP/PCI Configurations menu.
    The subcategories are:
    Reset Configuration Data:
    Yes reset configuration data
    No disable this function(default value)

VGA Boot From:
    OnChip AGP Primary Graphics Adapter from add-on AGP
    PCI Primary Graphics Adapter from Onboard PCI(default value).

PCI Slot 1~3 IRQ Priority:
    Auto Auto set PCI Slot 1~3 IRQ Priority
    3,4,5,7,9,10,11 setting PCI Slot 1~3 IRQ

DMA Channel(0,1,3,5,6,7):
    PnP This resource is used by a PnP device
    ISA/EISA this resourse is used by a ISA/EISA device(PCI or ISA)

Those are my options. Anything look familiar? I'm guessing that I would switch toonchip AGP and then would I have to manually set PCI slot priority? Bah, it's all greek to me.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I just took a quick look through the manual and it appears that "PCI Primary Graphics Adapter from Onboard PCI(default value)" is the thing to change.

Remove the entries from your "system" file .... uninstall them.

Turn of the computer, put in the new video card, move the cable ove

reboot, and get back into your bios.

Change the setting to "add-in card" save and exit.

It should boot up to the new ATI card.

Brent

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well Brent, that worked right up until I rebooted after putting in the new card. The monitor light stayed amber which means it is not recognizing the card. Arghhh, this is getting frustrating.

11. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

I had an old Packard Bell that had an S3 Virge (ah remember those days) onboard and I just ended up disabling it in Windows and installed a new PCI (so long ago...) card and didn't have any problems..might wanna try that if you can't disable that through the bios.

12. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    That was actually one of the first things I tried Mark, but Windows would recognize that the integrated card was still there everytime I would boot up and try to reinstall itself. I'm this close to just returning the new card and saying to hell with it!

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Try another slot.

Any beeps when you turn the computer on?

Brent

14. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Nope, no beeps. Just the amber light on the monitor instead of green.

15. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well, I guess it was the PCI slot because when I used the third slot everything worked fine. Thanks a lot for the help fellas.

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

See fella, we may not be SURE what's wrong but we think we do [​IMG]
    Brent

17. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Hah! that's for sure.[​IMG] Thanks again for the help.