I need to decide directv or Dish

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I just moved and I have to get a programming provider. I have been searching the forums but it is just making me confused. I am leaning towards DISH because of the awesome deals at AllSAT for free equipment. You can get the HD 811 receivers for free. If I go with Directv I will have to pay $299 for the HD receiver. Is either one better, or should I ask, is Directv worth the extra $299?

Cable is out because in order to receive HD I have to subscribe to their PVR service which raises my cost for something I don't want.

Please, I need some input. My kids are going crazy without any TV. Or, should I say they are driving my wife crazy.

Thanks,
    Adam.

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Try checking out this thread from Satguys. Pretty informative with several points tackled.
    FYI, I have Dish or a they call it Echostar or " E* ".

3. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Which thread was that?
    Vb

4. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with directv...I've had them for about 6 years...customer service is fantastic and programming/pricing is reasonable.

If you want to refer me, I'll split the referral bonus with you[​IMG]

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I chose Dish because I felt I was getting more for my money from them. Even after they decided to charge me extra $5 a month for not having a telephone line. They also moved my dish for free when I moved to my new house last weekend.

6. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't discount PVR services. They will literally change the way you watch TV. Great for recording shows for viewing later when the kids are done monopolizing the TV, or vice versa. In this regard, DirecTV is the hands down winner over both Dish and cable, in my opinion, due to their Tivo receivers.

Also, if you're a football fan, there's the NFL Sunday Ticket package on DirecTV with several games weekly in HD.