I need to buy a portable MP3/CD player, help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JorelB, Jul 30, 2002.

1. JorelB

JorelB Extra

Hi all, I need to buy a MP3 player. Looking around the web I've found that an MP3/CD player would be a good choice because of the price and storage space. I've narrowed my choices between two, the iRiver ChromeX and the Panasonic SL-MP30. Can anyone please help me decide on a player. Also, does anyone know where I can find the iRiver player in Vancouver, Canada?
    Thanx in Advance!
    PS Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to post. [​IMG]

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

There's also the Sony J01. It only plays mp3 though, not wma.

Are you looking for a retail store? Either should be available from amazon or crutchfield.com

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

4. Chuck Paskovics

Chuck Paskovics Stunt Coordinator

I have the TDK MOJO and I love it. It reads ID tags and everything. Very nice. You are talking about portable right? Not a dvd/mp3 player right?

5. JorelB

JorelB Extra

The SlimX is looking very attractive, but I'm not sure if the price too much yet. I don't really want to order online because I live in Canada and I've heard that customs can bring the price really up so a retail store is probably the better choice. And yup, I'm looking for a portable player. Thanks all for your responses! But as always more would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The Slim-X is available where I live from computer stores and other places for $269.00 CAD I think. Its one of the highest rated CD/MP3 players.

7. Craig Rosenthal

My suggestions:

Make sure that whatever player you go for can read MP3 playlists. The newer iriver players do, but I don't know about the Panasonic... I have a Rio Volt, which is made by iriver and sold under the Sonic Blue name, and it works very well. It did, however, need a firmware upgrade to add the playlist functionality.

While you may not really envision using the playlist function, without it most players play the tracks in alphabetical order. This allows you to put numbers as the prefix of the file name, and the player will play them in that order. Without the numbers, and without a playlist, it will play songs in an unnatural order (alphabetically is not how most original CDs are organized).

Most players also recognize file folders, so you can group tracks (e.g., by album). Make sure whatever players you are considering can do this too, so you can put 5-10 albums on one CD.

I understand that some of the newer players can read UDF discs. These are discs in the Adaptec DirectCD format, which basically allows you to treat a CD-ROM as a large diskette. If your player can do this, you can add albums/songs to an existing disc at a later date.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I own the I-River IMP-350 Slim X, I love the sound, I replaced the earbuds with the Sennheiser MX-500 for mountain-biking and other activities. When at home I switch to the HD580's or my always reliable Denon (closed). Nice player, upgradable too

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Sorry, wrong thread... oops [​IMG]