I need to build a non-powered subwoofer !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Granatelli, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Tony Granatelli

Tony Granatelli Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gang,
    I'm new to the forum, but have spent the last 8 hours reading a ton of posts. This is the best forum I have ever seen !
    Here is my enigma:
    I own a powered subwoofer that has a connection for a slave subwoofer. I called the company and spoke to someone in the engineering / design department. They no longer make the slave unit. I asked if the slave increases the wattage of the powered unit, just like car stereo amps increase wattage when you lower the impedance. He said, "exactly".
    Now I need to build an 8 ohm, non-powered 12 inch sub with a resonant frequency of around 45 hz. The box must be sealed.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tony "SAT guru" Granatelli

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

You could use a Parts Express 12" DVC driver (part #295-185). Its a dual-voice coil with 8 ohms per coil so you'd have to use only one coil (short the leads of the unused coil together) to get an 8 ohm load. It works well in a 1 to 1.3 cu ft box stuffed. F3 should be 40 - 45Hz. An Adire Shiva would be very similar but takes a bigger box. Both of these cost $120 - $125.

If you want to spend less then you might try the Dayton 12" Series II (Parts Express part #295-120) for $76. Its no match for a DVC or Shiva, but should still be a good woof for the money. Single 8 ohm voice coil. I haven't modeled it so I can't recommend a box size or F3.

I think all the Blueprint drivers are 4 ohms single voice coil, so that's no good.

Any particular reason why the box must be sealed and tuned to 45Hz? I guess you're trying to match your existing sub.

3. Tony Granatelli

Tony Granatelli Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your help !
    When I spoke to the design engineer, that's what he told me to do... Actually, I wasn't totally sure what he was talking about, but I am going to buy a book on subwoofer design. That. along with your info will allow me to extract the extra wattage and decibels I'm looking for.
    I'll let you know how it turns out...
    Tony Granatelli