I need to brag a bit

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterK, Jul 31, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Every year our town has a garagesale. I picked up a pair of old mirage speakers that were made in the 70's for 17 bucks. A really old pair with no name that look like crap but sound better than the mirage pair for $4 and...and a set of speakers for my computer with a base for $2. Man, what a great day!!!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Nice find. [​IMG]

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Great find man. Once I was in a thrift store and picked up a pair of Mission 70 Mk II speakers. One of the woofers has a slight voice coil miss alignment but other than that they are perfect.

My friend found a pair of Magnepan planar speakers in the grabage!! he grabbed um and they work great. There a vintage model. Cant remember the number but there about 7' tall 2' wide and about 3" thick. He said there is a small vibration on one that is from a loose strip of wood. He is still working on fixing it.

Ryan

4. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Great. And a friend of mine won an American Express sweeps: they sent her a credit card with $10,000 that she has to use within 1 year.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now that's a find. My personal best was a set of Stax Earspeakers for $35. Disfunctional marriage liquidation [​IMG]

6. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

I heard of someone who got a $500 Monster power conditioner for about $15 [​IMG]

7. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

Frank:

i wont a HTS5100 signature series for free as a door prize during my company's xmas party [​IMG] woohoo.

some guy in another forum found a linn sondek 12 table for $5 at a garage sale. thats a steal.

8. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

And I once found a pair of Kef Ref 100s in the dumpster at work. They were rather beat up, so I left them there.[​IMG]

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    great deals!

best HT/Home audio deals ive gotten at garage sales were:

Pair of Radioshack Minimus 7's for CAD$6
    Old (1991) Luxman (high end japanese brand) CD Player for CAD$2

nothin too spectacular...

10. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmmm?? Bestest deal I got for my ht? How about 6 brand new Kinectic Acoustical Panels that each measured 4ft.x10ft. All for free!! [​IMG] Here's the story....

I work for an interior building contractor and we were hired to install about 200 panels in this large office building. The architect made a mistake and ordered the wrong color on 6 of the panels. These panels were special order and non returnable. I was the foreman on the job and asked him what they wanted me to do with panels? He said either give them away or throw them into the dumpster. I swear at that time I was about to drool all over my work boots. Gee, guess what I did with the panels?

The panels cost about $7 a sq.ft. The architect had to eat the cost and ordered new panels for the building. This happened about a year ago and everytime I go into my HT, I just sit back and smile[​IMG] Life has been good to me!!

11. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

PeterK...I feel sorry for your kids, newphews and nieces during christmas time. [​IMG]

12. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

What exactly is a kinetic acoustical panel?
    David: better make that parents, sister and cousins (i'm only 17)

13. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Okay, the eaiset way I could tell you about my lucky find.Kinectic is the company's name that make acoustical {sound panels}. There are several other company's that make them also. They help absorb certain unwanted sounds or a frequency in a room. The panels that I have are hung on a wall somewhat like hanging a big picture.

In my situation, my HT had a "bright" or "reflective" sound since the room had lots of glass and mirrors. I removed the mirrrors, and installed these panels on the wall. My room is 15x26. Also have Klipsch speakers which have a rep. to be bright.

After all the panels were installed, the detail with music and dialoge with movies was greatly improved!! Also, this might seem strange, when friends are visiting, you can easily here them speaking even though they are on the other side of the room. I'm very convinced now on the importance on "sound control" for a HT. Remember, every HT room is different with the amount of sound absorbtion needed. Sorry for the long answer but you asked[​IMG]

15. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

My best find would be a Marantz CD40 CD player in a Goodwill for $14, works GREAT.

16. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

My best score was at a local HT store,it was having an open house one Sat,and had all their floor/demo stuff for sale.I was talking about amps and what they had on sale.Then one of the guys said they had a couple of old trade in stuff they had no use for.He then dragged out of a cabinet an older Adcom 5 channel amp,a GTA 6000.100 watts on the front 3,60 on the surrounds.He said $100 would take it home ! So I jumped on the deal,it has been running my center and 2 rears now for quite a while.

17. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

It can't compare to the speaker for