I need to add a partition in XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Wilson, Feb 13, 2002.

1. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

Hello.

I just finished loading XP Pro onto an 80 GB HDD. I booted from the CD and designated (formatted) 20 GB to be used for XP and applications. Unfortunately, I must have missed the part where I allocated the rest of the HDD as the D: drive. I've now got D: as my CD-R/W and E: as a Zip drive. How do I add a non-formatted logical drive D: with 60 GB and how does one change the drive letter designations for the CD and ZIP?

I really like XP so far; much improved over my W98SE!

Thanks for your help.

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Right click My Computer and select Manage from the context list. In the console select Disk Management. You should be able to enable the unused space here, but I'm not posative, I've not run into this type of situation before. You can change the drive letter assignment for the cdrom here, right click and select Change drive letter and paths. You can do the same for the zip drive under Removable Storage.

T

p.s. The place in setup where you designated the 20G for the os drive is the same place where you would enable the remaining space. Use the create partition in unallocated space option to designate all of the drives before selecting which drive you want to install to.