I need suggestions on a complete 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MattSG, Sep 18, 2005.

1. MattSG

MattSG Agent

I know this has been asked too many times, but Ive had a hard time finding any other posts with the same constraints that I have.

Anyways, I have about 1200-1500 to spend and I have nothing but a TV. What would be a good complete 5.1 system, including receiver.

Thanks

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

What brands are available locally?

ie; I'm not going to suggest you check-out Leopolds Quality Subwoofers if you'll have to drive 600 miles.

3. EricSal

EricSal Extra

There are a lot of variables here. Do you need to use a system based on small satellites and a sub, or do you have room for bookshelves or even towers up front? What speakers have you heard that you like? For instance, I have always liked the sound of horn loaded high frequency drivers or titanium tweeters, while other people find those to be too bright or harsh. How big of a room are you working with?

Given a budget of roughly $1500, figure you'll be spending in the area of $1000 on the speakers, give or take a little bit. You should try to get out to some stores and listen to some speakers in that price range, and maybe a little higher. Then if you come back and say "I liked these, I didn't like these" people will have a better frame of reference as to what speaker characteristics appeal to your ears.

4. MattSG

MattSG Agent

hmmm, I am not completely sure of all the brands that are in my area, but there is a home theater store, tweeter, and frys that I am aware of. I live in the west houston area, so I am sure that there is more, and probably most of all brands somewhere in the city. When I get to most stores, almost everything sounds "good". I know there is room for bookshelves and probably room for most towers, atleast in front, but the back would probably be best with satellites.

What I am mostly trying to ask, which may be completely wrong, is if there was a 5.1 set in the price range that most people agreed on as being balanced and good to listen to. I think I want a pretty neutral sound. Or atleast some brands to look for or stay away from.

It doesnt need to be perfect, but Im making the move from the speakers that are on a basic 10 year old crt tv, so anything sounds good in comparison.

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Ascend Acoustics sounds like what your looking for.

I'm in Pearland two exits south of the Beltway off 288 if you want to hear mine. There is another Ascend owner on this board in the Heights, EddieZen.

Then get a digital receiver or the Pioneer 1014/15.

6. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

I would use the b&m stores for demo only. Not to purchase.
    Based on your needs I would say the following would be a good HT setup for you:

1. HK AVR-435
    2. JBL E50 for fronts
    3. JBL EC35 for center
    4. JBL E30 for rears
    5. SVS PB10 for Sub.

You can listen to JBL speakers at Best Buy(again not a true test most of the time but at least you'll know what ur getting, plus u'll know the size of them).

HK 435 should be VERY good for your setup. I was thinking of HTR-5790 for 449.99 at vanns.com but they are out of stock on that and I don't they will ever get them in since 5890 is out.

For the above set up it costs 1200.00 for speakers and receiver. The sub is another 466(with shipping) so it will be 1666 total.
    I usually check the following places online for good prices on ht stuff:
    www.jr.com
    www.vanns.com
    www.bhphotovideo.com
    www.onecall.com - has the HK 435 for 612(with shipping)
    www.amazon.com

So check prices online and you should easily be able to get your HT within your budget of 1500.

The sub is damn good so don't even think twice about that one.

7. prashanth_sharma

I would second the Ascend Acoustics system. Although, u can go down on the reciever to the pioneer 915 or even the 815 class. Similar recievers by onkyo (603) or denon 1805 would work fine too.

The only down side with the Ascends is that they are not much to look at. but the great sound more than makes up for it. I've had them for 4 yrs now.

u can also try the Aperion audio system. they are much better looking and about as good as the Ascends.

happy hunting.

-ps

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Aperions sound quality is no where close to the Ascends.

9. EricSal

EricSal Extra

I'd agree that it would be worthwhile to check out the JBLs, if the setup Himanshu_S suggested is too much over your budget you could go with 4 E30s and a EC25 for the center. Depending on the size of the room you might be able to go with a less expensive sub too.

For around $1,200 you could put together something with Klipsch Synergy B2 bookshelves and a C2 center plus an inexpensive sub. The newest Synergy (Synergy III series) is an improvement over the previous incarnation, they also have these at Best Buy so you can get an idea what they sound like.

For a little over $900 shipped you can get the BIC Acoustech 5.1 set. Like the Klipsch this uses horn drivers and is very efficient, plus the sub is pretty darn good too (Dr Hsu was involved in its design). If you go with a different set of speakers you can get the sub seperately for about $300 or so shipped which is a real bargain.

I have the Acoustechs and run them with a Yamaha HTR 5650.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

You could use a Paradigm Performance set-up (CC-170, ADP 170, Atoms w/stands) and a HSU subwoofer and probably come in under budget.

11. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Matt,

I'll second that Paradigm performance setup!

And I think you might like Eddie's Panasonic receiver too [​IMG]

12. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

You've got a Frys in your area, so you can audition Polks, JBLs and Infinitys. If you want to use less of your budget on speaks and put more into the receiver and sub, I'd check out some Polk Monitors and R50s/15s versus the JBLs. You can get them on sale for ~ $250-300 including a CS1 or CSi25 center. Spend $500 on a nice receiver, HKs are great with Polks and another $500 on an SVS or Hsu sub. You're under budget, it's a nice entry level HT, that sounds great in an moderate room. Ascends are an upgrade, but they will definitely use about $1100 or your budget and you'll still need a receiver and sub.

13. MattSG

MattSG Agent

Thanks guys, those were the exact responces that I was looking for. Any more are still greatly appreciated.

14. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

15. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

JBL set-up from JandR with FREE SHIPPING!

JBL E80's-$300
    EC35-$150
    E30's-$100
    Sub-A good one!

Receiver- HK AVR 235, Onkyo 602, Pioneer 1015, Panny XR50-these range from $250-$350

You would have money left over...Or put more into the sub or receiver. Pick up a BFD, external amp etc.

16. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

The ELT LRS's just dropped again, to $99/pair 'til the end of Sept. I'm probably going to pick some up myself. This is a no-brainer...

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I'll chime in here with a go on the ELT's as well. They also have some great package pricing on the 750's as well. Like a year end blow out as the new stuff is coming...

18. Bill^B

Bill^B Auditioning

I just ordered the BIC Acoustech 7.1 shipped to Texas for $978 and will get the Panasonic XR55 for $284 CC when I get home Nov. 30. You can order the reciever for less online.

19. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

"Anyways, I have about 1200-1500 to spend and I have nothing but a TV. What would be a good complete 5.1 system, including receiver."

Other than the receiver (too many to chose from)...I would look at SVS' new 5.1/7.1 surround sound offerings (check their Web site under "NEWS").
    At their current introductory advertised prices...it truly seems like a killer system that's apt to satisfy even seasoned TH fans (and I am an unashamedly huge SVS fan!).

My 0.02 cents... [​IMG]

-THTS

20. MattSG

MattSG Agent

One more thing, do the speakers or the reciever come with the all the necessary cables? I am probably going to be installing them myself and this is my first time dipping into hometheater. If not, what do I need?