i need something new

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Every day, it seems, I look at the same darned stuff online. I check my email, I check the Woot, I check the weather and I check the front page of New York Times. Then I check HTF, and maybe Digital Bits and one or two other places on the web... The Onion, Nerve, Newsweek, my local newspaper sites, maybe McSweeney's and Roger Ebert. But that's it. My worldwide web is really very small.

Can you suggest some cool stuff, interesting sites, for me to make a regular stop on my daily surf? News is good, political sites are ok, too. Informative stuff is good, daily interesting updated stuff.

What's out there that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

MC

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm with you, I have that same routine as well. Sometimes I'll check a mere 15 minutes later, thinking there's some new post to a thread. [​IMG]

It's like closing the refrigerator door (when there's nothing good to eat inside) and then opening it 15 minutes later, thinking something wonderful will magically appear...

"Hey! How come I didn't notice that big bowl of chili and case of beer before???" [​IMG]

I wish StrongBad would update more often. He used to do it every week, but now it takes him over a month for something new.

EDIT: I completely forgot, always check out the daily (and weekly) videos on Ebaumsworld.

3. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

You check like a dozen sites, every day, and you want more? Surf LESS, Micah. You'll be happier. Oh, and you forgot that you regularly check The New Yorker too... [​IMG]

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Have you not gotten sucked into the black-hole of blogs, Micah? There are some really good ones, certainly for politics, that are updated multiple times each day. Hope I'm not breaking forum rules by mentioning a couple of them: two political magazines that have good blogs with contributions by a lot of their writers are (on the right) National Review and (on the left) The American Prospect. NR's blog is "The Corner," American Prospect's blog is "TAPPED."

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

6. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I don't know if I can stand "blogs." First of all, because it would mean I'd be being somewhat trendy, and I don't know if I could stand that. Plus, I am turned off by the concept of "blogs" anyway. I mean, are we all geniuses with important points of view? No. We're all goobers; few of us have important points of view. So, what's all this? I gotta read your diary everyday? No thanks, Mister Super Self-Aware.

Too many points of view become no point of view, is my... point of view, I guess.

Anyway. No blogs. What about interesting info sites, sort of like that arstechnica site? (Pretty cool. But, will it have staying power for me? I don't know.) I'm interested in anything anyone can suggest.

MC

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm with you Micah, never cared for blogs or podcasts. Anyone can make one, and most of it is info regurgitated from other web sites.

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

Female companionship? Or is that too obvious? Too ungeek-like a suggestion? [​IMG]

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Scott L, good call on the trailers. At work, I have a G5 with the 23" HD flat panel and my co-workers are always waiting for a new HD trailer to come out so we can have a "Showing" in my office. [​IMG]