1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I need some really quick advice on subwoofers that can save me some time....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I have a Mirage BPS150 bipolar sub that can be described as a very musical subwoofer. Would it be a downgrade for me to replace it w/ a Sony SAW-M40? I've heard great things about the Sony sub, and its attractive price has given me upgrade fever. Should I try the Sony, or save my time and leave the Mirage in place? I am also interested in building a DIY sub. Is that the better option? If so, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

it seems to me that pert near all commercial subs include marketing comprimises of one sort or another. (generally size related)
    a DIY sub is the best way arround IMO, since you can build it to do what YOU want, not what will sell best in a showroom.
    (of course the DIY route also packs the best bang/buck ratio available.)
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Sounds to me like you're looking for a sub for the deep bass. Screw it though, why would you sacrifice quality for quantity? The Sony Sub is good for budget HT applications, I say save your bones for a 12" Velo or Paradigm sub.
    ciao
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater

[Edited last by Chuck C on September 01, 2001 at 08:54 PM]

4. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

When it comes to subs there is only 1 name to look for, M&K!They are a bit pricey, but once you hear these you will never go back to anything else.
    Good Luck, L

5. Kevin Alexander

6. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I recommend you go DIY, if you have the skills, and patience! If not, buy an SVS or 2 and you will be in bass heaven.
    I was considering DIY, or a couple of hte big commercial subs (Paradigm Servo 15, Velo HGS 18), but after I got my pair of SVS 20-39s, I will never buy an overpriced commercial sub. The SVS's rock, and were very competitively priced.
    If you are on a really tight budget, I dont think you can go wrong with either the Sony or Mirage subs you mentioned. They both get high marks for low-cost subs. I have heard the Mirage, it does sound pretty good. No experience with the sony.
    Jeff Peake

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you are considering the DIY route, definately consider it some more. Head to the advanced topics forum of this site and do a search for Shiva and Tempest. That should bring up a meriad of links that will help you to learn everything you need to know to have a successful project.
    Here is a link to a page that lists the projects of a bunch of people who went to the trouble of posting them on the web:
    http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html
    Pat Sun's is the best documented one.
    Took a while before I was convinced to try the DIY over a PW2200 or Servo15 etc but I'm glad I was:
    here's my page:
    http://ht.s5.com/Sonosub.html

8. Kevin Alexander

Patrick Sun has agreed to stop over when he has the time and help me get started in the right direction on the DIY sub option (he only lives a few minutes from here). I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks.
    ------------------
    "What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

9. Kevin Alexander

I see that many here recommend the JBL PB-12. Does this sound like what I want to achieve in deeper bass for movies over my Mirage BPS-150, or should I continue to look at the DIY option?
    ------------------
    "What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.