I need some opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeMeehan, Nov 1, 2002.

1. MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan Stunt Coordinator

I would like to get into a HT setup but my budget is small $400 to $500 max.I currently have a pair of Klipsch Kg2 speakers that I really like and a set of Polk book shelve speakers(don't know what model they are,sticker on the back just says reference speakers).I would like to use at least the Klipsch in my set up.I would be very grateful for any ideas.Thanks

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Do you have a receiver? What are you looking at buying?

3. MikeMeehan

Sorry Chad should have been more clear on what I'm looking for.I need to upgrade my receiver, DTS,DD,5.1 and S video imputs are a must.My tv has one set of component video imputs and one S video imput.I'll need a sub and a center channel speaker.

4. MikeMeehan

DOH! I mean iNputs:b

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

so right now you just want to buy a receiver for about $500 max?
    Some suggestions:
    Pioneer VSXD 811s 399 at stores cheaper on line...
    Onkyo TXSR600 499 in stores I have a receipt for 399 + tax
    from circuit city. I owned it but returned it due to some
    issues.
    Denon 1802/2802
    Marantz 5200, 6200.
    Just make sure if you buy online you buy from an authorized dealer. You usually can go to say Pioneers site and they have a listing of authorized dealers.
    You can also select lower end models from the denon, marantz, pioneer, onkyo.
    You can go to crutchfield website and see which ones fits your needs.
    Speakers....well everyone says to run all same brands except I think the subwoofer doesn't have to match.
    I run all Acoustic research Hi Res stuff and I love it.
    You can get the ar4c center channel from www.accessories4less.com for like 129.99. Great center channel speaker. That is where I bought all my speakers from.
    Any other questions let me know.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I wrote this earlier and didn't get a chance to send it:
    It sounds like you need a receiver, center, and a sub. As far as the center is concerned, you should try to match it to your fronts- the Klipsch Kg2 speakers (I'm assuming). See if you can contact Klipsch and ask for a sonic or near sonic match to the Kg2's. You can then use the Polk book shelve speakers as the rears. Buy a good 5.1 receiver (just do a search on 5.1 receivers here on the forum and you'll come up with a lot of info. There are a lot to choose from but you need to establish a budget and other personal criteria before you buy). Then, when you can afford it, get a sub.
    Of course, you need to make sure about speaker wattage and such but all that will come as you research the receiver, its power handling, etc.. The best thing to do is go out there and listen, talk to people, and keep asking for info on this forum. keep in mind, centers are expensive, so you may just want to focus on the receiver for now and get a good one, or look into the small receiver/speaker package deals (I wouldn't do that, but that's me, and it all depends on your circumstances and room size, etc.) There is a lot to factor in. Good luck.

7. MikeMeehan

Thanks Chad and Jose. I have a lot of reading to do, but with all the friendly folks here I'm sure it will be fun.

8. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Like Jose said take a saturday and dedicate it to going to some hometheater places and listening to some recievers.
    There are alot of new line of receivers that have come out since like July. I spent 6 months looking and just gave up and bought the onkyo txsr600 and ended up returning it and got the pioneer 811. Not sure if it was the best decision but I am happy with what i have considering it is my second set up.
    Do research, read reviews, read posts but go listen for yourself.
    Everyone has there own tastes on what sounds they like.

9. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I am sure in your area there is several stores that sell pre-owned (used) equipment, over the years I have bought a lot of good mint condition used stuff for pennys on the dollar, I have bought re-furb and close-out stuff. Many times you will find great deals and most of these folks will give you a warranty as well.I have a 1500 dollar tuner that I bought new in a box for 150 bucks (Sound City) I bought 5 HK PA5800 5 channel amps for 200 dollars each, all new in the box. I sold 4 kept one lightining got it and the insurance co. replaced it with a new ROTEL 985 THX Mk2 5 channel amp. They were closing out tha HK and I git lucky.
    I would much rather pay 4-500 bucks for some "High Dollar" pre-owned stuff than paying new prices for bottom end products.
    There are great deals in this forum, making me nuts. Other day Nick sold a Marantz AV560 (never used) for 500 bucks, a 1000 dollar piece. . .

10. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

I'd second Guy's opinion; used is the way to go. Since you are looking at a budget, you should stick with 5.1. Since you will only be using 5.1, there are a lot of prior generation units of very good quality being sold cheap since people are upgrading to 6.1 and 7.1 formats. The Outlaw 1050 for $300 or so seems like a bargain.

I think a formerly $1000+ 2 year old used unit is going to offer more long-term usefulness than a new $350 reciever. Read around a bit here and you can see what are the more highly regarded units, then check around the "marketplace" and wait for a unit you like to float by.

I bought my amp this way, and I wish I had bought a lot of my other equipment this way, too. Next time...

Good luck,
    Chris

11. John Hester

John Hester Auditioning

I just got a Yamaha RX-V530 (same as HTR-5550) because I wanted to be able to listen to 6.1 channel sources with my existing 5.1 channel speaker setup. This particular model can simulate a rear center speaker using the right and left rears. See my post on another thread for more reasons why I like this receiver:
    Buying Guide: What would you recommend in a receiver?
    -John

12. MikeMeehan

I will be watching this forum's marketplace as well as ebay for any good deals. The kg2 speakers that I have are rated at 4ohms should I worry about this when looking for a receiver?

13. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

I am running a pair of KG2s with an Outlaw 1050 and have been really pleased with it. When looking for a matching center, the people at the Klipsch forum suggested the SC-1 center. I picked up one of those and would say that it seems to be a pretty good match. My surrounds are some old no-names which actually work better than I expected. They'll serve the purpose until I can upgrade.

The 1050 has a 4/8 ohm speaker impedance switch and has no trouble driving the KG2s, at least at my listening levels which are probably lower than a lot of people (the system is in a small 10x14 room - old house, ya know).

I don't remember exactly what they were, but I recall some threads here that discussed a few of the more popular receivers in the 400-500 price range that have trouble driving 4 ohm loads. You may want to do a search on that.
    Good luck!

John

14. MikeMeehan

Thanks John,good to here from someone using the kg2s.It looks like there are several centers I can use,kv2,kv3 and sc1.I've been trolling ebay and have seen a few worthy contenders.The Outlaw has alot of fans on this forum so I'll have to check it out.Thanks again

15. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator