What's new

I need some opinions on the HTD series III for a friend... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Peak

Agent
Real Name
Kev
I have tried to do a search on the subject for a friend of mine, but the site is always so busy, it won't let me look
frown.gif

I know it's approaching downright cliche to ask for advice on a sub $1000 system BUT, this friend of mine is looking at a package deal for around $1000 (this being the 5 speakers and sub). He was thinking about the HTD series III, and wants some opinions on it from present owner. Particularly comments regarding the set with the subwoofer. He is wanting the floorstanders as well. Any comments, or possible other sets? I had him look at NOrh and energy as well, so if anyone has anything to say about those, then feel free to pipe in.
------------------
Thanks,
kevp

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
cant help you out YET..my level III's are in the mail as we speak..i went with the center, and 2 pairs of towers...i already had a sub that i love.
they seem very good from all the reviews/specs, etc...i guess my ears will be the final judge..
plus u gotta love the free return shipping..that shows that they beleive in their product

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.cheaphometheater.com/Level%20III%20Tower.htm
Nothing but good things to say about them in this review, I would get towers front and back matching center and an svs 16-46 for the real low stuff. He could even get a sub later if he wants to wait. Towers front and back with center would be just under a $1000 , I wouldnt get their sub as it only goes down to 30hz , but thats just me. Should be a sweet ht setup for the $

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
also..if he doesnt wanna spring for 2 pairs of towers then get the bookshelf speakers for the rears and then in a year or two when he is ready to upgrade he can buy towers for the rears and use the the bookshelf speakers for side speakers in a 7.1 setup!

Art_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HTD Level III center, 2 towers and 2 mains setup. I don't think you really need the towers in the back but if you have the money than more power to you. I didn't get the sub because I have heard concerns about it and I live in an apartment so a sub might get me in trouble... :) But just let me say that those towers can put out some serious bass all by themselves. The center speakers are a bit on the bright side for my taste. But it matches the rest of the system really well. With the pink noise moving across the speakers using VE I can't tell the transition between spearks at all. For the money I don't think you can get a better deal.

Greg_Bedard

Agent
I've had my Level III 5.1 Combo Y (towers and bookshelf) for a little over a month with the Onkyo 595 and I love them. I just received their new sub and haven't really used it yet so I don't have a comment. I do know that the towers put out such great bass that I don't need a subwoofer for my apartment.
The sound is great and I'm very happy (after a minor problem with one of the drivers). Just make sure you get a receiver that can put out a lot of power b/c all the Level III speakers are BIG. The center is huge! I think I'm going to turn the 595 in for the 696 b/c I'm getting a little amp clipping. And then add a pre/pro in a year or two.
Any questions just email me.

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
this is killing me...why oh why do i have to live all the way across the country from HTD?? i prob wont get my speakers in till monday..argh!!
i work in a steel fabricating shop so i'm having the guys made me some speaker stands to fit the level III's exactly...knowing that i got free speaker stands will only add to the enjoyment.
i was outraged from looking at the prices of speaker stands...most metal stands dont have more than $12 of material in them. plus they never seemed to be tall or strudy enough for the 16lb HTD speakers so i took the popular designs out there and made them on a jumbo scale using stronger material.
if anyone has AutoCAD i can send you my blueprints.
[Edited last by tom_furman on August 01, 2001 at 01:29 PM]

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Since you asked about norh, I'll chime in. To start off with, its $850 to get 5 wood or ceramic norh 4.0s. And while they might get by without a sub for music depending on your tase, they absolutely require a sub for movies. So your friend would be left with $150 to buy a sub. It's going to be his decision whether he wants to pair these excellent speakers with a low-end sub. Or maybe he's willing to push the budget. Or maybe he's willing to wait until he can afford a better sub. Anyway you look at it, $850 for the speakers (without a sub) is pushing his budget.
But, if he decides to try the norhs, he will not be disapointed. Especially with the ceramic 4.0s. I cannot imagine any other speaker within 2x the price performing this well. Accuracy, imaging, clarity ... simply amazing! And they're the kind of speaker that can grow with a system - performing better as you drive them with better equipment. I doubt I'll ever upgrade speakers again. But in that unlikely event, I'll just pick a higher model in the norh lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks