What's new

I need some input (1 Viewer)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I've always thought that vacation time is a benefit and not required to be given by a company. But that is really dirty what they did to you. My guess is that they have their policy setup up the way they do so they can do what they did. Have you heard of any of your former co-workers getting similarly shafted? In my experience, some companies are just plain evil, sounds like you found one. Good luck in your next job.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Jeff hasn't exhasted his last recourse, which is a lawsuit. That's why I suggested the advice of a lawyer. The case is not whether the company must pay for accrued vacation time, but that the company's vacation pay policy is being applied inconsistently based on the date of termination. Employees who are fired in the second half of the year get their vacation checks, but employees who are fired in the first half of the year do not.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
If this company isn't breaking any laws, what's the basis for a lawsuit? I understand what you're saying about inconsistancy in their policy, but the private sector is given great latitude in forming their personnel and labor policies and I just don't think this company has done anything illegal.

Mean spirited, ridiculous and convuluted, yes. But illegal? We already know the state of Tennessee doesn't regulate this stuff, and that's essentially the answer as to whether there is a basis for a lawsuit.

Besides, how much is it going to cost to retain a lawyer? Certainly not less than one weeks pay for accrued vacation time. Small claims court and self representation is the only cost effective legal option, and if he loses, he gets screwed again by being responsible for the fees.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the replies, guys! The company that fired me was a private security firm, and one that has sunk to new depths with their unfair policy. I've considered consulting my attorney, but really what's the point? As much as I hate it, I'm just gonna have to suck this one up and move on. The thing that bothers me most about this whole thing is the timing--my 35th birthday is Monday, 17 March, and during the last few weeks I was really looking forward to it. Now I'm not so optimistic, being unemployed and screwed out of justly-earned pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks