What's new

I need some help. (1 Viewer)

Quinton

Auditioning
Well I went and bought the Pioneer DV-250 from walmart. I'm probably going to end up being a semi-DIYer, so I need some help.

The home entertainment center I am building houses 2 15" subs, and I was looking at the partsexpress 250w plate amp to power these. What would be a good budget reciever to get to be able to hook up the plate amp plus 5 other speakers for surround sound. Can someone suggest a descent set of speakers to use for surround sound. Im looking to spend 300 or less for the receiver and around 200 or less for the surround speakers. I need something that I can easily connect the DV-250 to for surround sound and good SQ while listening to CD's. Thanks. If you need any more info, just ask.
Quinton.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am building houses 2 15" subs, and I was looking at the partsexpress 250w plate amp to power these.
The PE amp puts out the most power into a 4 ohm load. You will get the most power if your subs are 2 ohm and you run them in series or 8 ohm and you run them in parallel. If they are both 4 ohm, it would be best to get two PE amps.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Quinton,
First, welcome to the Forum!
The home entertainment center I am building houses 2 15" subs...
Typically this approach is not recommended, since sub performance is very much location dependant.
For instance, people who use a dedicated parametric equalizer for their subs usually find they get the best performance (lowest extension, highest volume and smoothest frequency response) by placing their subs in a corner.
People who don’t use an equalizer typically will experiment with numerous positions until they find one that gets them the best performance.
Obviously, if you have your subs built in to an entertainment center, your placement is virtually locked-down, and neither of these options are available to you.
For more information, you might want to do a search or post a question on our Speakers and Subwoofers forum.
Since you’re handy with woodworking, you might consider building a free-standing sub (or two!) – you can get a lot of “bang for the buck” by going this route. And there is plenty of help here on our DIY and Advanced Projects forum.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quinton

Auditioning
Well, maybe I'll redesign the subwoofer enclosure when it comes time. I was looking at parsexpress and they have some sets of speakers (5 or 6) for under 200. Are these any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks