What's new

I need some help calibrating. (1 Viewer)

Ryan-Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I have a SPL meter from RS and want to caliibrate my speaker levels. Im using the internal test-tones for now. here is my problem: I set the master volume on my reciver(kenwood 6050) to -15db which is 85 db right? So this is my reference level.now i set my SPL meter to 80 and put it on "slow" and "c". I am testing from the listening area. When i use the test tone with the reciver set at -15(85db) i have to have the fronts at +8db just to hit 75db on the meter. The rears are set at +7db each to hit 75db. the seperate speaker volumes on my reciver go from -10db to +10db. im at +8db just to hit 75db when my reciver volume is at -15db(85db). whats worng?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
What kind of speakers are you using?

That can make a difference on +(-) on your settings.

I just did mine and I set my Pioneer 811 at -23 master volume and everything stayed at 0 or lower to reach 75 db.

Speakers do make a difference.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
i have to have the fronts at +8db just to hit 75db on the meter. The rears are set at +7db each to hit 75db. the seperate speaker volumes on my reciver go from -10db to +10db. im at +8db just to hit 75db when my reciver volume is at -15db(85db). whats worng?
Nothings wrong. Your just adding db to each speakers channel to reach 85db on the SPL meter. Just calibrate everything at 00 on the dial.

Kevin

Brae

Supporting Actor
I would calibrate your receiver to 85db at 00 on your dial.
Kevin, how exactly does one tone their receiver down (or tone itself up) if one reads, say 95dB when the receiver's Master Volume is at 00dB using an integrated receiver?

I could understand this if one was using separates, because then one could simply turn down the power on the external amps, but I do not think this is the case with Ryan.

Just curious.

Brae

Supporting Actor
I forgot something I wanted to add for Ryan's benefit.

Ryan, you may wish to invest some money in the Avia DVD to help calibrate your audio and video system. Its a decent primer and also works (for audio) using the Radio Shack 33-2050 analog SPL meter.

This will also allow you to know if your receiver is attempting to calibrate, using an internal test sequence, differently from an external sources. Good luck!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Kevin, how exactly does one tone their receiver down (or tone itself up) if one reads, say 95dB when the receiver's Master Volume is at 00dB using an integrated receiver?
If the SPL meter reads 95db when master volume is set to 00 then you would go into each channels setup and back it off. Depending up the receiver each channel can usually be adjusted +/- 10 to 15db.

Kevin

Ryan-Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot guys. one more question though when calibrating my sub should i calibrate it in LFE and Normal or just LFE. And i read that the sub should be -3db from the reference level. should i do this?

Yogi

Screenwriter
The best way to calibrate, IMHO, from the internal test tones is to set your SPL meter to 70 db setting (C, Slow) then adjust the master level with one of the mains (either L/R) playing so you see 75 db on your SPL meter. Then go ahead and adjust each channel to match that particular main channel (@ 75 db) That way you will have everything calibrated to one level. This would be the reference level in your setup in your room with your speakers. Make a note of the master volume level. My reference level on the 3802 with external amplification is -8 db. I rarely can go above -15 db during movies.

If you add external amplification, change the speakers or their position then you will have to re-calibrate.

Ryan-Stone

Stunt Coordinator
For some resont when using the test tones on my reiver the max for the master volume is -10db and the max volume on the reciver when not using test tone is -8db. Whay doesnt it go all the way to 0db.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I had a kenwood vr357 and I believe that only went down to
-8 and not 0.
Each receiver(company) is going to vary on how high the receiver goes down.
I agree with Yogi....I just calibrated my system(with sound & vision) the way he suggests and did notice that it does sound better.The only thing I did not get to match is the subwoofer....still need to work on that.
So don't worry about the -8....just worry about setting up
your receiver correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks