I need some help and advise about my sony DAV-C900.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Hello everyone I'm new to this messageboard and I'm also new to home theater equipment. I recently purchased the sony DAV-C900 dvd home theater system, it should arrive around tuesday. I'm on a budget so I can't really afford the high dollar equipment. I chose this because I enjoy sony products.
I was hoping to find out from some of you pros if this is a decent setup? I also would appreciate it if someone could take time to check the link and tell me what cables that are not included that are must haves. As I said before I'm new to home theater systems and setup. So, when my system arrives next tuesday I would like to be able to have all the proper cables. Thanks for your time and help!
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...AVC900&o=m&a=0

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome

Should include all cables, but their quality may not be up to par. Since the DVD and amplifier are integrated, there is no cabling there. The downside of a unit like this however, is that it is not individually upgradable, meaning the guaranteed low quality amplifier cannot easily be improved upon. I usually try to discourage people from this type of setup, since when upgrade time comes, it is basically like starting from scratch. It should do just fine for a starter system though. Good luck.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Unless they are already included, one of the cables you will need to buy are component video cables. Most DVD players include composite cables only, but component cables offer a huge leap in video quality.

Acoustic Research makes some nice inexpensive component cables. They can be had for around $20-30 depending on the length, and will serve your purpose just fine.

Don't bother buying speaker wire; your Sony system uses proprietary wire to plug in the speakers.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
You may also want to look at a Belden/Canare cable from the likes of.

rhinocables.com

wickedcables.com

bettercables.com

BrentJ

Second Unit
Do I have to have a HDTV to use these cables from rhinocables? I have a mid 90's toshiba tv with s-video and rca jacks. I'm really confused on the cables that I need. I want to have the best picture and sound quality possible. I plan on upgrading my tv later this year. I also noticed that their cables on the site show red, blue and green. Is this for newer televisions or can I still use these? thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are three different types of cables (un the US anway). Those are composite (good), S-video(better), and component(best). I believe the unit in the C900 has all 3 of these outputs. As I mentioned, Sony often includeds all the cables you need. My last two Sony DVD players included inexpensive composite, s-vid, and a low quality component cable. That may or may not be true for your system, but it should at least come with an s-vid cable.

If you do not have component video (3 RCA jacks, should be noted as such), then S-video will be your next best choice. A component cable has a grayscale channel (the actual image) and two color channels (chroma and hue that are added to the image to create color). S-video does the same thing, though the wires are run inside one cable together. Image quality will typically only improve marginally going from s-vid to component, but color will improve noticably.

With a budget system, I wouldn't bother with very expensive cables. When you upgrade to a TV with HD/Component, THEN get a good component cable.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Thank You for all your help guys. I understand alot more than before! Thanks again!

AllanN

Supporting Actor
You should check out the post "A Primer for Home Theater Newcomers" it has a bunch of usefull information about HT, I learned a great deal in a short time from that post.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39