I need some advice on a receiver and a DVD player for a Christmas present....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nix Stress, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Nix Stress

Nix Stress Auditioning

I want to get my best friend a receiver and a DVD player. He doesnt really have any brand I need to stick to so I was wondering a few things. He mentioned that he thought Sony was good, but from reading some threads I have seen people talk about Onkyo and kenwood. Also he is looking for a receiver with at least 100watts so he doesnt have to use an amp? I am clueless when it comes to electronics. I just want to know what is the best out there right now for a reasonable price. Could you please give me some examples and prices for something that would make a nice present? I would like to keep things in the $500 range for the receiver and $300 for the DVD but am willing to pay more for good quality.

Thank you in advance.

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] I would suggest a Denon 1802 and a Pioneer 343 combo.

3. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

A few quick things to add:
    Don't worry about the watts. Many good receivers (Onkyo, Harmon-Kardon, Denon) rate their power differently than say a Sony. Take the Onkyo 595, I think (don't hold me to this [​IMG] ) that it's 80 watts per channel, most people will tell you it will outperform any Sony with 100+ watts in the price range.
    For the Receiver, Try taking a look at some of these models
    Onkyo TX-DS 595 (around $350-375 online)
    Kenwood VR-509
    Denon 1802
    Denon 2802 (not sure exact pricing on these, just do a search and you'll get a ton of info.)
    For the DVD, the Panasonic RP-56 is a great player for around $220ish.

4. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Damn, you're one hell of a friend! You wanna be my best friend?

As for a dvd player, I recommend the Panasonic DVD-RV31K. I have one and love it. It plays cd-rs and mp3s. Plus you can get it for $150-$190. Wal-mart does have this dvd player, but for them it's labeled the Panasonic DVD-RV26. Same thing though!