I need some advice. Newbie here.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Roveen_A, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Roveen_A

Roveen_A Auditioning

I've been reading the posts and viewing all the pictures on here and I am amazed and very impressed with everyones creativity and vision. I hope I can create something at least half of what everyone is creating.

I need some advice:

Basically, I am having a house built and it turns out there was an empty area that is able to be framed and created into a room. The room is not too big. It is 11.5 feet wide and about 15 feet long. The room is 8 feet high.

I wanted to create a projector (hanging from ceiling)/screen type of media room and have a room for a couch or 2 theater seats. I didnt want to spend too much money as it is because this house is already costing me an arm and a leg, but as guys, we all want our toys.

In addition, my company gave me a brand new projector that I was thinking of using rather than buying a brand new one. It is an Epson Powerlite 730c. Here are its specs:

Projection System EPSON Orginal LCD Prism technology
    Projection Method Front Projection, rear/ceiling mount

LCD Size: 0.9 inch, Driving Method: EPSON Poly-Silicon TFT Active-Matrix, Pixel Number: 786,432 pixels (1024 x 768) x 3 LCDs, Native Resolution: XGA, Aspect Ratio: 4.3 (supports 16:9, 5:4), Pixel Arrangement: Stripe

Projection Lens Type: Manual zoom/Manual focus, F-number: 1.9 to 2.1, f-number: 31-36mm, Zoom ratio: 1:1.16

Lamp Type: 150W UHE, Life (typical): 1500H (can last about 5 yrs. based on 6 hours/week x 50 weeks/year)

Screen Width Ratio: (Dist/Width) 1.63 to 1.89:1

Screen Size (Projected Distance) 30" to 300" (1.0m to 11.7m)

Keystone Correction +/- 15 degrees (Automatic)

Brightness (typical) 2000 ANSI lumens (typical)

Contrast Ratio 400:1

Brightness Uniformity 85% (typical)

Color Reproduction 24 bit, 16.7 million colors

Sound Output 1W

Operating Temperature 5°C - 35°C,

Power Consumption 225W (5.5W at sleep mode)

Power Supply Voltage 100 to 120V,200 to 240V +/- 10%, 50/60Hz AC

Dimension 7.5" x 10.9" x 3.1" (D x W x H) (includes lens and feet); 7.5" x 10.9" x 2.7" (D x W x H) (excludes lens and feet)

Weight 4.3 lbs/1.9 kg

Fan Noise 39 dB

Effective Scanning Frequency Range Pixel Clock: 13.5 to 162 MHz, Horizontal: 15 to 92 kHz, Vertical: 50 to 85Hz

RGB Display Performance: Analog RGB I/O, Native: 1024 x 768, Resize: 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 1024, 800 x 600, 640 x 480; Input Terminal: Video: Mini D-sub 15pin x 1, Audio: Stereo mini jack.

Video I/O Display Performance: 550 TV Line, Input Signal: NTSC, NTSC4.43, PAL, M-PAL, N-PAL, PAL60, SECAM, HDTV: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i; Input Terminal: Video: Composite Video: RCA x 1, S-Video: Mini DIN; Component Video: Mini D-sub 15pin (in common with Analog RGB connector); Video RGB: Mini D-sub 15pin (in common with Analog RGB connector); Audio: Stereo mini jack (in common with Analog RGB audio jack); Audio signal: 500m Vrms/47Kohm

Control I/O USB type B x 1, (for mouse, keyboard control)

Now my questions are:

1) Will this projector be good enough for the room that I have? Brightness, resolution, etc.? Or will I have to buy another one?

2) I wanted to use this projector with my PlayStation 2, a DVD, cable TV, and possibly a computer. Will this projector do all that? What do I connect all the components to? Is it the projector directly or another device such as a DVD player or receiver? I am totally lost on this

2) I wanted a good size big screen (100" Diagonal maybe). From reviewing the dimensions of the room (above), what do you recommend as a screen size? What manufacturer makes it? I wanted to just hang it on the wall as a fixed screen. Thus, I wanted a classy one with borders, etc. Who makes that?

3) For a small room like this, I have a Sony Dream system Surround System. Will that bee good enough?

Thanks again for all your help!!! Hopefully I can make do of what I have and just purchase a screen.

PLease share your advice and feel free to email or PM me. I'd love to see pictures and also hear advice from experts like you all.

Sorry for the long post....

2. BOBjcskn

BOBjcskn Auditioning

Hello Roveen_A,

I personally can't give you my opinion of the 730c. However, I patronize a site that gives excellent reviews of projectors. Before I sent you there, I checked to see if they had an opinion on your 730c. They gave it rave reviews for being a wonderful mobile presentation projector, and said video was a "secondary application".

But Roveen, you said you 'didn't want to spend too much', and 'your company gave me'. Those two sentences can make a movie look pretty good on a 100"+ screen. (like free beer tastes better) MSRP on that piece of equipment is over $4,000. I would love to be in your shoes. I will try to giv e you the link to the site I found. I don't know if this forum will let me do that. If not, goto ProjectorCentral dot 'you know what'.-- projectorcentral.com/epson_730c.htm

You should be able to install all of the equipment your talking about through your Sony system, depending on which system you have and how many/what type of inputs it has. the system should be acceptable for the room. Depending on your personal level of 'WOW' factor. With the throw distance your talking about, I'm assuming the projector will be shooting the 15', not the 11', you should not have a problem with a 100" screen. DaLite will sell you the screen material for a couple hundred (depending on which material, aspect ratio, and size). and you build the fixed frame. That's what I'm going to do.

As far as what you hook everything to, the manual of your Sony system should tell you whats it's capable of as far as inputs and where to plug in game stuff, etc. but I think the video items would be sent to the projector, and audio stuff to the Sony (so you can crank up Xbox.

Hope I helped.

BOB

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The specs indicate a business class presentation projector, which can be used for home theatre. The real limitation is the contrast ratio of 400:1. As far as brightness goes, it is plenty bright which makes sense for doing presentations is a partially lit room. If you are getting it for free, by all means take advantage of it, but plan ahead for a replacement down the road.

Your room is exactly the same size as mine, click the url in my signature. I set up mine to throw a 96" 16x9 image which is just about right for my size of room. Your setup with this projector will differ slightly due to the 4x3 aspect ratio but a 100" 4x3 should do it. Too large and the already gray blacks will wash out. Screens can be found from many manufacturers or you can make your own. Personally, I would not buy a screen and would instead buy or make a screen later with the purchase of another projector, whenever that is. You can paint onto the front wall and then frame the screen with your own borders (black). If you really want to buy a screen, you can get screens from companies such as Draper, Dalite etc but I would not spend money on a screen personally, at least not yet.

I forgot to ask, do you have windows in your room or light spill from other rooms? Can you make it dark. If not, plan also for window coverings. This goes for whatever projector you install in general.

4. Roveen_A

Roveen_A Auditioning

I was reading the manual on this Epson 730c and it says that I can change the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9 for "widescreen format" Is this true?

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Let me add that if you really did want to get a native 16x9 digital projector then there are a few to choose from that won't break the bank...

- Sanyo Z1
    - Sanyo Z2
    - Sony HS10
    - Sony HS20
    - Panasonic L200
    - Panasonic L300
    - Panasonic L500

For further discussion on the specifics of these projectors, I suggest you open a new thread in the Displays area or I can move this thread there. Either way, let me know.