What's new

i need solution for center channel placement. (1 Viewer)

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
i have a 27 inch wega, a small wooden box holding the tv and a center channel that need as nice spot.

my center speaker

i tried placing it on top of the set but it seems to put too much strain on the cabinet and television in general,

i use an omni cc center and it weighs a hefty 25lbs, it spans almost the entire diameter of my television!

so i was looking into purchasing a tv stand that can help accomodate the center better, im lookint into tv stands that have a built in top shelf above the television, so i can rest the center.

i cant place this center channel in a shelf because its omni polar and disperses sound upwards creating something similar to a sound bubble so if i were to place it in a shelf with a ceiling itd hinder the performance greatly.

can anyone recommend a tv/entertainment center that can acommodate the center channel? i was look at this one

rta entertainment center

but i would prefer something black, i was thinking about placing the speaker on the top shelf of that unit, but it may be too high

can anyone else recomment a different solution?

thanks for your time, any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I was going to suggest you put the center on the shelf below the TV, until I saw the speaker itself. What galaxy is it from? :D The center seems to be designed for use below the screen, not above, and certainly not that far above.

The shelf above the set with this cabinet seems way too high and away from the set. Coupled with the upward slant of the cc, I think it would seem like sounds were coming from the ceiling, rather than the TV itself.

I'd try and look for a below the set solution. With the upward tilt of the speaker, a little stool of some kind, or other inexpensive solution might be the way to go.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Here is your solution: http://www.wood-tech.com/standscc.html

Inexpensive (~$50-80, depending on model) and available at various sites. I'm using the 12" model at present, but I'm going to switch it out for the the 18" one as soon as I get a taller stand for the television.

My center channel speaker weighs just under 40lbs, and the 12" model has no trouble supporting it.

For home theater, the center speaker is so crucial, and it's a real shame when I see people ruining the sound by placing it on top of that big ol' box of unwanted resonances we call TVs or wedged into a cabinet. Get 'em out, on a good stand, and let 'em breathe!

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys for replying

James, haha
the center is from mirages omni polar line, i like the whole speace look, but that pic was the pic of the center without the grills. the woofers are angled at 40 degrees or so, and the mid range is position right below the tweeter, the tweeter that sits above the midrange acts as a spoon/dish, and when the sound waves are directed towards the spoon, it disperses into a 3 dimensional sound, and the tweeter sitting on top of the first spoon, has a smaller spoon directly above it also for the same effect.

this creates an incredibly unique sound stage unlike any monopole dipole speaker out there. imagine if you were to look at the speaker and there was a sound bubble around it, and you forget that there are speakers in the room. with these speaker mirage follows the theory of alowing 30 percent of sound from these speakers to be direct and 70 percent reflected.

Rich,

anywho back on topic i was considering a small speaker stand to support it below the television. but i do plan on getting a new television stand, and i was afraid that the center speaker would be blocking the cabinet doors and such :/

unless there may be an alternative "basic tv stand with no doors" and i can opt for a compnent rack?

----

i was considering building a shelf right behind the television on the wall but i dont know if it would effct the sound greatly in a negative way?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
i was considering a small speaker stand to support it below the television. but i do plan on getting a new television stand, and i was afraid that the center speaker would be blocking the cabinet doors and such :/

unless there may be an alternative "basic tv stand with no doors" and i can opt for a compnent rack?
It will block the doors of any cabinet you've got the TV on, of course, so a separate rack would be important for any components you need ready access to (CD and DVD players, for example). I only keep my cable box under the TV, and I have no problem shooting the remote around the stand.

If you're getting a new TV stand, be very cognizant of the height! You'll need enough clearance beneath the screen for the stand and the speaker on top of it, bringing the top of the speaker as close to the bottom of the screen as possible.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

That is what I did. I had the center on the RPTV itself, and it always seemed like it was about to bow in the middle. So I installed a shelf just inches above and behind the TV. It worked out well. I just angled the speaker downward with rubber door stops, and re-calibrated. And don't forget to measure the distance- it may be a little different and need adjustment at the receiver.

If anything, the sound is better now. It certainly did not degrade it in any way.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
i was considering building a shelf right behind the television on the wall but i dont know if it would effct the sound greatly in a negative way?
Same considerations as one would put into selecting stands: solid, non-resonant support is very important to the quality of sound you get. Also, placement issues will have an even greater effect. Having a speaker flush against a wall can cause the sound to be congested and increase the response of the lower frequencies which might make it muddy or "bloomy".

Whenever I hear people complaining that dialog is less than perfectly intelligible and blaming their speaker, I always think the problem is more likely poor speaker placement and support. Even a great speaker can be made to sound poor in this way.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Rich is correct. I used heavy duty shelving hardware, with screw holes allowing me to firmly attach the shelf to the brackets. I also used a 22" deep piece of shelving to allow some breathing room behind the center.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I have a NHT Audiocenter2 for my center channel which is quite heavy. I ended up building a shelf that straddles my Tosh 40H80 so that the weight of the center speaker is transfered to the floor. This has worked quite well.

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks