I need ribs in lower NY or norther nj bergen area.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MichaelPR, Feb 10, 2005.

1. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Where is a great place for ribs in the rockland/bergen area. I have an itch for some great ribs and don't really know where to go other than chillis. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  3. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

A pretty decent place for ribs in NJ is J D's Steak pit in Fort Lee. Pretty good baby backs, not awesome, just good. Also saw Ewing and Oakley there once with their wives.

IMHO, there isn't a single GREAT ribs place in the tri-state area. I've had better BBQ in the Houston airport than in the "best of NY". However, I would currently rank them as following:

Blue Smoke - little upscale for ribs, Danny Meyer's BBQ place. Pretty good.

Daisy Mae's - Way west side, more take out, not really a eat in place. Sticky ribs (Kansas City style) is good. The dry rub is OK. Sides are great.

Virgils - Ribs are OK, the hush puppies, however are great. Way too busy though.

Hog Pit - used to be almost great, chef sold the place years ago and the food went way down hill. Haven't been for a few years so I don't know what it's like now. They have fried pickles though.

I can't really recommend any other places in NY, though I've been to a lot of them.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Agreed, the hush puppies at Virgils are the best I've had above the mason dixon line.

If you are interested in an all you can eat BABY BACK ribs place in central NJ, I can also suggest BIG ED'S BBQ.

http://www.bigedsbbq.com/Locations.htm

I go to Old Bridge, they rock, there may be another location closer to you.

Also, in Atlantic Highlands, The Memphis Pig Out rocks.
    http://www.bbq-porch.org/reviews/nj.asp