I need recommendations on universal home theater remotes..

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by GeorgeVT, Jul 10, 2003.

1. GeorgeVT

GeorgeVT Agent

I currently have 4 remotes for my home theater:

1 for Toshiba 51H83 HDTV, 1 for digital cable box, 1 for Onkyo DVD changer, and 1 for my Sony STR-DE845 reciever.

What are some recommendations for universal remotes that would replace these 4 that are 200 dollars or under...I've been reading things on the Sony RM AV3000...any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

I have been using a Home Theater Master MX-500 for a couple of years now and would not be without it.
    Go to the link below for info on it and many others.

www.remotecentral.com

3. pradike

pradike Stunt Coordinator

The budget tends to drive the answer here....remotes central is a good place to start for homework.

If you want a fantastic remote...Marantz makes 2 of them...

The RC9200 (color, which I own, $1100) or else the RC5200 (black & white, $600).

Both have great icon=based touch screens, can run virtually any equipment (up to 14 devices), and can be programmed via a PC to customize the screens...up to 1400 macros. They both come with the software & cable to do this.

The Sony unit (about $179) is another touch-screen model which works OK.

4. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

All I can say is, stay away from Harmony's remotes! I had no luck with the SST-768. I wasted a lot of time with the remote and trying to run down their customer service for help, which never did any good. I ended up selling it for much less than I paid for it. "Live and learn" [​IMG]

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I like the "Home Theater Master" remotes. I.ve had my SL-9000 for about 6 years and still works great. I recently upgraded to the MX-700, an extremely powerful remote. The HTM remotes are of an exceptional quality and take a ton of abuse. If you have cable TV, the remote was (most likely) produced by "Universal Remote Control, Inc.", the makers of the HTM line. The largest remote supplier on the planet.

I have no affiliation with this company. Just really excited about their products. That's my two cents. Good luck hunting.

James

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

You can find unsold TSU2000 prontos for under $200. Mine's been great for two years now.

7. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Another vote for MX-500. Its so easy to use my mother had no problems operating my HT when she came to visit. Literally one touch anything.

8. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Well, most people usually have a strong preference one way or the other between hard buttons and touchscreens. You're usually either a "button person" or a "touchscreen person". Assuming you don't have a preference, I would recommend the MX-500 for the best all-button remote under $200 and a Pronto TSU2000 (new or refurb) for the best touchscreen remote under $200.

The Sony AV3000 is a nice remote, but you can't relabel most of the touchscreen buttons and it's too big for my tastes.

9. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I would stay away from the Sony touchscreen. I can't remember the model #. I have an older one (approx 2yrs) and I have had to assign things different names and then try to remember which button does what[​IMG] Good thing about it is it's powerful.

10. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have also heard of the Pronto's melting there base[​IMG]

11. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Yet another vote for the HTM MX-500.[​IMG]
    I got it to replace a Sima LCD touch-screen remote (a very nice remote BTW) after ruining it with Windex.[​IMG]
    FWIW, I had a Pronto NEO for about a week and HATED it. Maybe the higher-end Pronto's are better, but I'd stay away from the NEO.
    Good luck!

12. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

George: If you do a search over the last month or two on this forum, you'll find a few threads with other users that faced a similar dilemma as yours. Some of those discussions may be helpful to you...

I agree with Mike in that you should try to determine whether or not you would be happiest with a touchscreen or a button-based model.

In my own case, I ran the Sony 3000's older brother, the 2100, for several months. While it had a great cool factor to it, I just got tired of having to look at it whenever I needed to change something other than the channel or the volume. Button-based remotes suffer from this problem much much less. The tactile feedback of buttons just works better for me. For many, this is not a concern. But it is something that's worth figuring out before you spend your $$$.

If you stay touchscreen, I also agree with the Pronto recommendation. IMO, the Sony just does not have enough labels to cover all the keys that most of all of our remotes have. (The 3000 is better is this regard than the earlier 2100 was.) The Pronto is pretty much sky is the limit on customization. And the Pronto is easier to hold too.

If buttons are something you decide to go with, I also agree with the Home Theater Master MX-500. It's my main remote of choice at this point. It can handle up to 10 devices and fits really well in 1 hand. Easy to program/teach, keys easy to label/read, backlit and good on batteries. Just a great value. You can spend more and get more (eg. the 500's brother, the PC programmable MX-700.) But for the $$$, the MX-500's a kick butt deal!

13. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Wait, prontos melt their bases? I just dealt with some oddness that happened with my parent's pronto, it wasn't recharging and there was scoring on the recharger and the pronto itself, like there was a short or something.

14. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I know some other members have not had luck with their Harmony remotes, but I love mine. I bought one of the smaller ones off of eBay for 40$. It is a godsend. I used to use 6 remotes. Now I just use my little Harmony. It is endlessly programmable and everytime I had a question, customer service has answered me or emailed me a code within 48 hours. I have never had customer service this good from any company, ever. I guess I am saying that I would not dismiss Harmony out of hand. There are lots of satisfied users out there....but I may be the only one on this message board.

15. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

James,

There has been an issue with the COLOR prontos (TSU-6000 and Marantz RC-9200) overheating the remote, not the base. But, it's only been reported 4 or 5 times over at remotecentral.com. In none of these cases has permanent damage been done.

With the Black and White models, there was one thread that mentioned this problem. Turns out that it's POSSIBLE to put the remote on the charger such that the contacts are misaligned or shorted. I've had a black and white model since 1999, never had a problem and it sat on the charger continuously when not in use. I've owned the color model for a year and half, again without problem. I don't keep the color one on the base however, due to paragraph 1 above.

Jim L

16. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Yeah, I've never had the problem with mine which I've had for longer, but just looking at the base and the remote the spot matches up and it looks like the plastic might have melted a little or gotten chipped or something. Also, one of the contacts on the base seems to be missing. It mysteriously started charging again but we already ordered a replacement base anyway... the only thing I could think is that someone really slammed the remote down on the charger, or possibly that it shorted somehow due to the missing contact.

17. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

The only reason I know anything about it is because I was at my local Home Theater Store and a lady brought one in complaining about it. After she left my salesman told me they have been having problems with the Pronto's doing that lately.

18. Ray Kerr

Ray Kerr Extra

Another vote for the MX-500. Easy and quick to program and BUTTONS for us button types! My Pronto TSU2000/01 was/is cool, but I (and especially my daughter) can navigate the MX-500 real well in the dark.