What's new

I need recommendations for mushy tearjerkers (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Police and ambulance were called to the home of Montana local man Sean Conklin today, after he was discovered by a nieghbor laying unconcious face down in a pile of mushy tear jerkers. Police suspect that Mr. Conklin may have been crying for what looks like weeks before he became so dehydrated that he collapsed.
:laugh: That's actually so funny it brought tears of laughter to my eyes! That's funny man, thanks!
EDIT AGAIN: Damn John I can't stop laughing that is so funny "laying unconcious face down in a pile of mushy tearjerkers" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I thought you might like that Sean. Your a good guy, I just don't wanna see you end up like that old man Edgar who never got down off that electrical tower in 'Tremors'! ;)

Seung Kim

Agent
Bridges of Madison County is my all time favorite pick for a tear jerker.

Ghost is not bad!

English Patient

Shawshank Redemption is my favorite "man's tearjerker".

Gattaca is one of those sleepers that is one of my favorites also.

KrisPSlug

Auditioning
How do you pick only a few when so many great flicks are out there? In my book, David Lynch films do NOT remotely resemble romance in most senses except... maybe Dune, but nah. Here's just a brief list: :D
Great Expectations
Emma (+ BBC Version) - Clueless was too inane.
BBC version of Pride and Prejudice
Possession
Moulin Rouge
Practical Magic
Sense and Sensibilty
Much Ado About Nothing
10 Things I Hate About You
An Affair to Remember
Roman Holiday
The English Patient
Wuthering Heights (A BBC/PBS Masterpiece Theater Version)
12 Monkeys
Amélie
The Princess Bride
French Kiss
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Far From Heaven
Romancing the Stone
Waking the Dead
Love and Sex
Legends of the Fall
Anastasia
He Said, She Said
La Femme Nikita
Lola Rennt
The Princess and the Warrior
Il Postino
Leaving Las Vegas
Lucas in Love (HAHA)
My Fair Lady
Hotel de Love
A Life Less Ordinary
Playing By Heart
Chances Are
Addicted to Love
Doctor Zhivago
Othello
It Happened One Night
The Philadelphia Story
Somewhere in Time
Last of the Mohicans
The Thomas Crown Affair
The Tailor of Panama
While You Were Sleeping
Love Potion No. 9
And speaking of Sandra Bullock... she has a new movie coming out tomorrow (December 20th) called Two Weeks Notice.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmnn....
Please keep in mind that although many of the films in the list below may not be considered conventional "tear-jerkers", they invoke a tear-inducing emotional response for myself at some point in the film.
E.T.
The English Patient
The Abyss (there's one scene that clearly shows that performances can truly outshine production values)
A.I.
Braveheart (asking for forgiveness without speaking a word)
Dances With Wolves
The Elephant Man
Forrest Gump
The Green Mile
It's A Wonderful Life (happy tears...I'm a sucker for that ending)
Magnolia
Saving Private Ryan
Se7en (particular scene near the end that made me take notice of Brad Pitt's dramatic abilities)
The Shawshank Redemption
The Sixth Sense (near end...conversation in car with mother)
Mulholland Dr. - Sometimes, I may not exactly understand a particular moment in a film as much as I feel it. Such is the case with the Silencio scene. I'll never forget how powerful that scene was (and still is) when I first saw it in the theater. It truly moved me.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Good picks all, especially that screaming indian at the end of Dances With Wolves - that really gets to me.

But, you forgot to add...

Jerry Maguire (family's reaction to the injury in the endzone)

Terminator 2 (death of Arnold)

The Iron Giant (the end, and the very end)

Remember the Titans (hospital visit)

The Majestic (has that Capra feel)

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I must suggest a travesty in the making in this thread going on 4 pages without a mention of Meet Joe Black!!!

Friendship love, family love, man-woman love...so many poignant scenes and then the ending which really wipes me out...

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Man, what a list of tearjerkers! I'm definitely going to have to bookmark this thread and save it for future reference. I've seen many of the movies listed, but there's many more I haven't seen. I think it's great when a movie can tug so powerfully at your heart strings that your eyes moisten and you feel tears running down your cheeks. Wonderful!

I don't remember if the movie was mentioned before or not, but I was sobbing during parts of "Hanging Up" with Walter Matthau. Perhaps it was because I watched it not too long after learning my mom was dying of Alzheimer's, but that movie really packed a powerful punch. Perhaps I expected a comedy given the cast, but it certainly was anything but a comedy, at least given my emotions at the time.

Since my mother's death, I've stayed away from the tearjerkers, but I know I'll want to watch one sooner or later, and this thread is a great starting point. Keep the suggestions coming!

Steve K.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I think Pay It Forward is a good tearjerker. It has a little romance, but it is more focused on the kid in the movie that the blossoming relationship between teacher and mother.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I almost passed on this topic because of the requirement for 'mushy' tearjerkers. I decided to toss in the movies that are just about guaranteed to 'moisten' my eyes, whether I consider them mushy or not.

Backdraft: Only at the end. If you've seen it, you know

why.

Saving Private Ryan: Already discussed here.

Courage Under Fire: I can't say exactly why, but this

picture has me almost bawling at parts.

Something for Joey: I've mentioned this around here before,

I think. An old, perhaps made-for-TV, movie

not available on DVD. About John Capalleti's

(sp?) Heisman year and his relationship with his

younger brother.

TedT

Second Unit
Why do you want to be sad? If I'm watching a tear-jerker movie and cry, that means I'm sad. That means I don't feel good. Why be put into that situation? Who WANTS to be sad? Why? I don't get it. I want to AVOID feeling bad!

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Nicolas Cage, Penelope Cruz (yum yum)

quote from netflix:

"Dr. Iannis (John Hurt) and his beautiful daughter, Pelagia (Penélope Cruz), live an idyllic life on the Greek island of Cephallonia -- that is, until Italian forces occupy it during World War II. When Capt. Corelli (Nicolas Cage) is placed in the Iannis home as a boarder, he and Pelagia are quickly smitten with each other. But when the Nazis arrive, Corelli must fight to liberate the island from the real enemy."

Paul Lawrence

Auditioning
Ones that haven't been mentioned:

Dragonheart

The Patriot

and how can anyone not say Dead Poets Society - "Oh Captain, my Captain".

One of Robin Williams' best performances.

I'd definately go along with Saving Private Ryan and add We Were Soldiers and most episodes of Band Of Brothers to the list.

If you want some more romantic comedies:

Someone Like You (aka Animal Attraction in the UK) with Ashley Judd and Hugh Jackman is really good.

Three To Tango which stars Matthew Perry and is hilarious.

I'd also agree with Ghost, Green Mile, Apollo 13 (launch and landing), E.T., A.I., Always, Frequency (any Father/Son stuff tends to get me blubbing:b !) and also Star Trek II as my grandad was Scottish and the same piece of music was played on bagpipes at his funeral.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
To me it means that the filmmaker has done his job in getting you to care about the characters and what happens to them. It also means the film's theme strikes a deeper chord with the audience than just on a superficial level.

That doesn't make me feel bad a bit.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
If you are going to go the Ghost route, how about Truly,

Madly, Deeply (I think I got that in the right order) -- often described as the "thinking person's Ghost" and a truly lovely and touching film.

Deborah

SteveP

Second Unit
Two all-time first class weepies (not yet on DVD):

TO EACH HIS OWN (Paramount, 1946) where Olivia de Havilland(her first Oscar) inadvertantly has to give up her illegitimate child and

MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (Paramount, 1937, directed by the great Leo McCarey) with Victor Moore and the always fabulous Beulah Bondi as an elderly couple who can no longer remain together because of the failure of their adult children to provide for them in their old age.

I challenge anyone not to choke up at the end of either of these films!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks