What's new

I need recommendations for mushy tearjerkers (1 Viewer)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Armageddon certainly makes me want to cry, but mostly out of rage and frustration. ;)
Hmm... dare I admit that I kind of like The Cutting Edge? It's also sold under the "contemporary classics" badge. :b

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Kimmo, I thought The Cutting Edge was a good movie, nothing to be embarrassed about.

~T

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
One True Thing is one my favorite films that would probably fit into this category. No romance, per se, but definitely a tear-jerker. William Hurt is quite good in it as well. Speaking of William Hurt, another movie that might qualify is Children of a Lesser God.
Link Removed

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Some of these have been mentioned already; a few haven't.

Romance tear-jerkers:

Moonstruck

You've Got Mail

Howard's End

Sense & Sensibility

Pride & Prejudice

What Dreams May Come

Out of Sight

The English Patient

Titanic

Immortal Beloved

Like Water for Chocolate

Cinema Paradiso

Casablanca

Shakespeare in Love

The Last of the Mohicans

Not strictly romances (think pets, or father/son relationships, mostly - and some are just inspirational/emotional), but they "get me" every time, nonetheless:

My Dog Skip

Field of Dreams

Lone Star

A River Runs Through It

Shawshank Redemption

On Golden Pond

Eve's Bayou

Big Night

October Sky

Billy Eliot

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Field of Dreams and 2nd, 3rd, or wherever it stands on October Sky. I was just going to add these myself :)

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Another strong vote for Awakenings, The Green Mile and Children of a Lesser God. Be warned: only the last has a happy ending.

Here's one I'm surprised has not been mentioned: Spitfire Grill. Very moving, tragic story with an unusual plot.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Am I the only one who has seen Voyager? Starring Sam Shepard and Julie Delphy, this movie tells the story of an emotionally distant man who falls in love with a younger woman. If the denouement doesn't have you in tears, nothing will. Be forewarned though, a critical plot twist may be off-putting to some...
Edit: Voyager is not available on dvd. :frowning:

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Alot of good films already listed...so, here are a few more:
Crazy/Beautiful
The Seventh Sign
Georgia
Rush
Once Were Warriors
Boyz N' The Hood
Dreamlife of Angels
Not One Less
My Left Foot
Everytime We Say Goodbye
Bruce

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I suggest "Casper". Please don't laugh, I have a good reason: About 2 months before the movie's release, my dad died of a heart attack. I was 12, and I was sad and miserable beyond belief. I was excited about the movie "Casper", so I saw it in a theater with several friends, and I could relate to the movie. I still want to know if I have any unfinished business with my dad.

Damn.

Also, I get a little choked up seeing the Twin Towers in movies now (The opening and closing credits to "Working Girl" really got to me when I saw it on Encore back in October).

Sincerely,

John "When this war is over, the only tears I'll cry will be those of joy" Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
One more: "Scrooged", the Bill Murray update of "A Christmas Carol" has several sad scenes in it. The mute child of Alfre Woodard and Carol Kane's description of why he doesn't speak, Murray almost being burned alive, his speech to the world and us the viewer, the mute child finally saying "God Bless Us Everyone", and the reinditions of "Put A Little Love In Your Heart". It keels out at half-tearjerking and half-inspirational.

Sincerely,

John "Should give it one more view before the 25th" Kilduff

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
B00000F5MN.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005N914.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Coming in Febuary 2002 on DVD
B00004W221.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

0767821769.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

630471193X.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

6302259096.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

If they ever release this on DVD. I still have it on VHS.
B00005JCCC.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000K19E.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now, how did that get in there :D

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I was waiting until somebody brought up "My Life". Rudy and Stepmom are also tear jerkers!

Don

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Somebody already mentioned this but I'll mentioned it again:
Some Kind of Wonderful
I really dig this movie. Most of the Love story movies that I like are from the eighties. Notable others for me include.
Karate Kid I and II
Teen Wolf
The end song (when they are all celebrating the team's win with a non-wolf Michael J Fox) in Teen Wolf by Amy Holland "Shooting for the moon" is kinda (okay WAY) cheesy by today's standards but it gets me EVERY time folks. I wish I could find a copy of this movie for sale.
By the same token, Peter Cetera's Glory of love still stands as one of his best songs IMHO. Reminds me of High school. It made a mediocre Karate Kid II that much better for me.
BTW, has anybody seen the girl that Ralph Macchio gets in the second installment in ANYTHING since?. It's been awhile since I seen the movie but I remember having the hots for her :b .
Michael.

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
These are all very good recommendations, but I have to add one of the few movies to actually make me cry (more than just watery eyes and a few sniffles):
Shadowlands
There is one point in the movie where if you don't have tears streaming down your face, I am not sure that you have any emotions at all.
----
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks