What's new

I need PC game recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm making a list. Feel free to just throw out titles, mainly from the past couple of years or so or even stuff that's coming out this summer (or supposed to, at least). Any genres are fine. Whatever you think is cool, just give it to me. I know about lots of the big titles but I'm sure I've missed some stuff, especially little things that slip through the cracks. Don't worry about system specs either as I got a pretty nice new computer late last year. Thanks :)

Ike

Screenwriter
Return to Castle Wolfenstein mutliplayer owes me many hours of my life back. The single player isn't great, but the team based multiplayer is alone enough to recommend it.
For single player almost cinematic action, try Max Payne. No multiplayer, and it's short, but it's quite fun, especially for fans of John Woo/Matrix style action.
And if don't mind one from a few years ago, one of my favorte games (if not my favorite of all time)can be had for under $20-Grim Fandango. It's a Lucasart adventure game, and is fantastic! It truly makes an argument for games as an art. It combimes the epic length and storytelling of novels, with the humour and colour of a comedy, while being heavily influenced by Mexican folk art and Noir. Everyone owes it to themselves to own and play a copy of this! (If you like this, try out the last two Monkey Island games also. :emoji_thumbsup: )

Jason Handy

Second Unit
System Shock 2 (horror-action in the Thief-vein)

Alpha Centauri (turn-based strategy)

PlaneScape:Torment (RPG)

Black&White

Serious Sam

Age of Empires II:The Age of Kings

I could go on. And on. And on. Just a question: what is this list going to entail?

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Diablo/Diablo 2 and expansions. Good 3rd person hack and slash fun. Online play is fun as well. I'm still playing D2 on a semi regular basis, though I completed the game ages ago.
Alien vs Predator 2. Great fun. You can play as a marine, alien, and predator. All three storylines interweave somewhat, and you'll see/hear things from the other storylines as you play through as a given type. Playing as the marine will give you nightmares, esp if you're a fan of the movies. The alien and predator characters make for a nice change in gameplay from the FPS standard.
Return to Wolfenstien is pretty, and has some nice gameplay elements in certain missions, but I got bored with the overall standard FPS style. Kinda "been there, done that" sorta feeling with most of the missions. Haven't finished it, and don't feel terribly compelled to do so.
T

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
To add to the RTW game, I think the ending on the single player thing is quite anti-climactic. I was playing the hardest level and that guy died so quickly! I actually was waiting for something else to come up.

Haven't tried online yet though....maybe when I've given up on CS.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
How about:
Red Alert 2 (and the Yuri's Revenge expansion)
No One Lives Forever
Serious Sam
Unreal Tournament
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
High Heat Baseball 2003
Motocross Madness 2
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Aaron

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Some of my fav's...

-fps's

Undying

JK/JK2

Serious Sam 1&2

Medal of Honor

of course Doom 1&2

-rpg's

Baldur's Gate 2

Planescape Torment

Icewind Dale

Dungeon Siege

-strategy

Age of Empires series

Homm series

Empire Earth

Kohan

Warlords Battlecry 2

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Just a question: what is this list going to entail?
It's actually something my mom asked me to do. She and the rest of the family are taking a trip to Indonesia to visit my uncle this summer and thanks to wonders of exchange rates, US dollars go really far over there. So my uncle tells her that if she wants computer software, hold off on it until she gets there and she'll be able to get it very cheaply. So then she says I should make up a list of games I want in case she finds them over there.
Truth is, I'm not expecting much to come out of it (sounds a little too good to be true :)) but, what the hell, if I really can get stuff cheaper, I might as well let her have it and send a long list of games to keep an eye out for. And even so, it's just nice to see what had been coming out while I was stuck with an obsolete PC and maybe get some suggestions for games to go back and try out :)
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've got a couple of these already (No One Lives Forever is one of my all-time favorites) but there are also some that I've never heard of.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
hold off on it until she gets there and she'll be able to get it very cheaply.
That's not because the dollar is so strong, it's because outside of Japan & a few other countries, the Far East is over flowing with mass produced 'unlicenced' software.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
That's not because the dollar is so strong, it's because outside of Japan & a few other countries, the Far East is over flowing with mass produced 'unlicenced' software.
Ah. I'll have to let her know about that and have her ask her brother about this stuff. That puts me off a little bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simkn-Hans