1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I need ONE B&W DM602 speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matty B, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I want to have 5 identical speakers and I have 4 B&W 602 speakers right now, and I want to complete the 5.1 with a fifth, where can you get single speakers that are normally sold in pairs?

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    How about buying another pair so you are ready for when you go 6.1??
    ------------------
    I AM CANADIAN!

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I found one single DM602 at a local audio shop's once a year "scratch n dent clearance" where they ditch floor models and sundry leftovers. I am extremely happy with the sound I'm getting from three DM602 speakers in my front soundfield. It sounds far better than the CC6 it replaced.
    Before I found that speaker at that event I was planning on trying to "split" a set with someone here. My plan was to post something like "Hey anyone want to split a pair of B&W DM602s for CC?".
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Phillip,
    You said

5. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Phil,
    How have you gotten around the magnetic shielding issue. Doesn't the 602 affect your TV?
    I have a sony XBR and can't get my 602's within 2 or 3 feet without visual screen affects from their lack of shielding. However, I believe I read someplace that Sony's are overly sensitive to this. Putting another 602 on top my screen would warp the H%@L out of the picture.
    What am I doing wrong?

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jay,
    The CC6 sounded good, but a bit "boxy" to me. There seemed to be a midrange hump that drove me nuts. This could very well have been attributed to my environment, but it does not happen with my 602. The 602 incorporates NO TRADEOFFS WHATSOEVER when compared to a "dedicated" center speaker, it is superior across the board in every concievable way. I am a stauch advocate of identical speakers wherever possible, particularly across the front soundfield. The tradeoffs come into play when a dedicated "center channel" speaker is substituted for an identical unit.
    Gordon,
    I'm using a rear projection television, and the guns are far enough from the speakers that shielding is not an issue. Click on the little house icon to see my home theater. This is a serious issue for owners of traditional CRT style sets. I believe it is possible to magnetically shield a speaker like this, but the manufacturer has to come up with the solution.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker
    [Edited last by Philip Hamm on October 19, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

7. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Nice set-up..
    I guess I'll just have to live with my CC6 until I have it in me to update my TV..
    Have you heard B&W's newer LCR6 (I think) center. It sounds much better and refined than the CC6.. However, I didn't think it matched up well enough with the DM602's to equate to a purchace.

8. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

I upgraded my CC6 to the LCR6 and the improvement was amazing. Therefore you should have a listen to one of these before trying to get another 602, Two things come to mind as to why you should consider the LCR6,
    1: Magnetically Shielded.
    2: Designed for Vertical or Horizontal orientation.
    I am currently running 603's mains LCR6 centre, and 4X 602's as rears and surrounds.

9. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

After using the cc6, I hate it!! I was looking to buy the LCR6. BUT it is NOT designed for horizontal placement (look at the on-axis response, as far as the degrees, it is only 10 degrees vertical when the speaker is vertical, when you lay it on its side, it is only 10 degrees horizontal) I decided to go with the CDMCNT (for $100 more), I have since upgraded my 602s to CDM7NTs.