What's new

I need mental help: the bass bug has bitten. (SVS) (1 Viewer)

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of starting a group guys. It'll be called "BA", or "Bassaholics Anonymous". After 2 weeks, I am so simultaneously in love with and unsatisfied with my SVS 20-39PC+, I think I seriously need help. This is like marrying the supermodel and wanting to cheat on her. I can't even afford to cheat on her - but oh, her twin would look so nice standing next to her.

When the windows are flapping like they're made of paper and you want more bass, there has to be something wrong with me. When the bass is twice as good as it is in a brand new theater and you still crave more, I realize I need some kind of support system. When the sound pressure physically moves your clothing from 15 feet away and you want it to be knocking you off your feet, there must be something wrong with my head.

This is, in the short-term, more expensive and more of a rush than any drug. Which means it is the worst addiction of all - the legal one. Yes, my only true fear is the day they make SVS subs illegal. Gentlemen, that is the day I bite the bullet and move to Canada. That sub sure makes a big boom, eh?

There must be others out there like me. I've spotted a few of you, but many more prefer their bass controlled, tight and set to reference levels. Now I ask you - where is the fun in that? Because the bass drug running through my veins has clearly clouded my vision.

So who's with me?

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Can I join the group? In December I bought a 20-39 PCi. I had it for three weeks and decided that I need more and ordered a 16-46 PC+ because I want the sub that will go the deepest. The gain knob in my PC+ is only at 2/3 and -4 over the center channel in my receiver. The PC+ now is tuned at 12htz with a port blocker. However, I now think that the 3-4 db lost in the 20-80 htz range is discernable over the 20-39 and now I want to try a PB2+. I think I need help. :frowning:

john aprile

Agent
"So who's with me?"

I would assume someone with the same terminal disorder...

"Yes, my only true fear is the day they make SVS subs illegal. Gentlemen, that is the day I bite the bullet and move to Canada. That sub sure makes a big boom, eh?"

Lets hope SVS remains legal...:D

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I think you guys have problems. :)

I have a 25-31PC+ and dont think I will ever need another sub again! I think the structure of my house is not good at this point. I have had mine for 2 months and wouldn't think of buying another one unless I moved into a house with a large room. still I think the PC+ could put out enough.

my addiction is just plain making purchases. I cant think of anything to buy at the moment and its killing me. :O)

$3000 in the past month, thats a problem. lol

BTW: thats cash and im unemployed! :)

luke_ha

Stunt Coordinator
had that problem with my car. I went from 2-12s to 2-12s and a cool 36 that was a mother to install. I also spent about 2k on powerin that crap. now i get complaints since i am married now cant drop the bass enough for her to bear it so i have to unpower the 36.

cant say that i have the problem with my home theater but right now i have a dayton maybe once i convince my wife an svs is imperitive to our watching pleasure i will have to join.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
What you guys need is kinda like someone who speeds on his daily commute. He needs to go out and drag race on a drag strip or auto-x. What you guys need is to know someone who has a STUPID car system. Like if you can find a shop in town that the demo cars come to. Go listen to the rockford truck... see if you can happily sit in that thing for more than a minute. 150DB+! That should hold you off for a bit. :D

terence

Supporting Actor

Already with you, i added another 20-39PC+ 2mon ago and have been grinning :D:D:D my ass off ever since. Everyone who knows me was saying why?! My wife was "you got to be f@#king kiddig me.......right?!!" I started thing about what Ron suggested when i was asking advice, he said i would need two, but one was great i could not imagine two.

Then it hit me one was great but i wanted, needed MORE! So i was thinking every min about how two would sound "twins" i love twins! If one good two is better right? You damn skippy it is and headroom, SVS bass is a beutiful thing! I'm getting all the bass man can stand.....for now.:laugh:

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Nick> I sure understand where your coming from and all that is involved. The preoccupation with bass can be quit gripping to say the least. I have lied, cheated and embezzled from our own funds to acquire all that I can or want. It's one endeavor/lust that nothing has been able to subdue except time.

Don't loose hope Nick. Most likely over time your bass obsession will tone down a little and mature. You will be just as interested in the rest of your system being up to parr as you are with your bass. Don't take me wrong and think it wont matter. On the contrary, it will be just as important as ever. You will have more of a tendency to look at the whole picture though and your preferences will change. I just cant imagine running my bass/LFE the way I used to.

What I really appreciate now in my three 25-31CS+s is how articulate they are and the quality of depth. Their quickness to stand tall and do what I have come to expect of them down to the last little nuance of sound. (They better with all the headroom I give them) All this coupled with their controlled authority in the lower region is what dose it for me.

I think I read a article the other day stating that SVS users might have to start registering their subs with the Burrow of Alcohol and Tobacco. I have seen things and done things. Na we wont go there.:D

Terence> Say hi to the twins for me and bless you for giving them the headroom they deserve. ;)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Before I bid adieu to my PB2+, I WILL run a PB2+ and a PB2-Ultra together in a single 2,000ft3 room.

2,000 watts of power, two dB-12 drivers, two TV-12 drivers, and six 4" flared ports. All off a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

After calibration and phasing, I will play the AOTC ship explosion at +5RL and hang on for dear life. If I'm still alive afterward, I'll report back. :emoji_thumbsup:

terence

Supporting Actor
Ed,

You should video tape that one, and stream it online. I bet you will look like that guy in the old Maxwell comercial.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
DON'T DO IT ED! The last time I did something like that my ears hurt for the better part of a month. I was very concerned actually. Put on your phones/cans and measure it with out exposing your ears. Your going to be up around 135 non corrected I bet.

Caaaaaaaan Yooooooooooou Heeeeeeeeear Meeeeeeee Eeeeeeed?:)

john aprile

Agent
For the record and to clarify ...... I run 2 15" Velos and certainly understand bass applications and how it feels to have the innards shaking when called for.:)

However you guys with your affliction are damaging your ears long term....also if married this is also putting stress on the marriage (women don't get it)...you already know that....they call it immature , childish ,how many times have heard "GROW UP"...

So , men for your sake and perhaps the children...take the wifes advice and...GROW UP.

Hope this helps...BUT I KNOW IT WON'T !!

terence

Supporting Actor

YES Dear.:)

Man, talk about having your bubble popped! :frowning: Buzz kill.

I for the record listen at moderate and below 90% of the time, but when i want to demo or just have some fun, blow off some steam. It's great to have the power there when you need it. Some of us (such as me) have large rooms to feel so it's not as bad as it seams.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a "a-holic" anything. I consider myself a bass junkie, thank you very much. And who has time to cheat on an SVS - I've been "in bed with this babe" for three weeks straight (or should I say falling asleep on the couch for three weeks straight listening to music with her).

I must admit my bass problem though. I'm running half gain 75 reference on about 2000 cubic feet and am not at all afraid of going "hot" on the SW channel for music (the real space is about 1350 but opens to adjoining small rooms on two sides) Luckily the walls are well insulated and on a 2 foot slab so the neighbors don't mind, or know, much at all. That might change in open-window summer months.

Oh great, looks like my AC bill just went up this summer too.

;)

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

Enjoy it while it lasts. It will eventually wear off. Kinda like when you first fall in love. At the beginning you can't get enough of her, but after a few years... well you know how it goes.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. Sage words. I now run my PB2+ considerably cooler than when I first received it. Simply a maturing of my ears and listening tastes and a striving for more overall accuracy.

That, and I was sick of replacing stuff it kept knocking off the walls and shelves. :b

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I was sick of replacing stuff......
__________________________________________________ ______

No I think you are tired of replacing your (shop-vacs) Ed. There just has to be one that can muster up to your specifications??

__________________________________________________ _____

Grow up < We're just playing John.;)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Was there Nick...With audio/video, I was so tired of taking baby steps...now its feast or famine! I've almost completed my entire upgrade to the level I set out to...I don't feel I need a 200K system...better things to buy:) Making a system that has it when it needs it, smooth as silk..accurate..tight, clean, and making you feel happy...that's what I was out to create, and I'm within 1 dvd player of being there...(other 3 speakers are OTW) Hang in there man...if need be, send back the pc+ and grab a PB2...or like Steve, just keep having babies...and grab pc+'s till your hearts content:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks