What's new

I need learned opinions on "to buy or not to buy" (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
OK - here's the scoop! I have a great 27 in Sony WEGA flat screen. totally happy EXCEPT, know that I'm in the HT mode I want LARGER!!!!

SO - looking at my budget

should I buy a 32in Sony WEGE Flat (selling the 27) OR wait another year and go bigger/better. OR do I wait two years and go HD.

I do have other things in my life that need purchasing so the HT is not the one and only thing on the must buy list.

SO - here's the choice's

NOW - 32in SONY WEGA

next year 36in SONY WEGA

2 years - 42inch HD

just looking for others input!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
With prices being what they are, I'd recommend the KV-32XBR450--that way, you're future-compatible. I don't think it makes much sense to spend more than $1,000 on an NTSC-only display these days.

I was thinking about the same thing a few months ago. I wanted to upgrade my bedroom set from a 27inch to 32 or 36. Then I thought to myself, that would just be a waste of $500-700. So i got a new dvd player )
I would go for HD as soon as possible. Anything else is a waste of money in my opinion. Your not going to get much life out those expensive sony sets once HD goes full blown.
Another thing you might want to consider is that going to 32/36 is not a huge leap from 27.
Then again it always comes down to what you want. If a large set now is going to make you happy, thats what you should buy.

akash_b

Auditioning
guys,
VERY newbie question.... but what is HD?? im getting VERY worried here... coz im after forking out the equivilant to about $2000 on a new Sony 36incher....Sony KV-36FS70U 36" WEGA ..... please re-assure me!!!!!
will this tv get me through alot of dvd, ps2, vhs sessions??or is it soon to be putdated by this messenger from the devil... this HD???? :angry:
akash

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
akash_b - your 36" WEGA will last you years and years and years of happiness. Not to worry.

HD is high defination and is the future of TV. Not to worry bud! Be happy and content.

remember who you are reading, these guys are Home Theatre Geeks (I say that smiling and in the kindest way).

These guys probebly installed special carpeting and have special curtains on their walls and only wear flannel to absorb sound.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Akash -

You have a nice set....

HD = High Definition, so I don't know how that'll affect the UK.

In the US it's broadcast over the air, and about 20 shows are available.

I'm not an HD guy...I don't know the facts.

- CM

oop! double post......

It’s all in how you look at it. Perhaps I am spoiled by my 53. When I look at my neighbors 32, it seems small. I go to my parents and they have a 40, it looks small too. Even my 53 looks small after I compare it with the 110" FP setup I auditioned last weekend.
So I guess its all relative. I consider going from 27 - 50+ a huge improvement. Just like going from 53 - 110 which I plan on doing soon :P

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wear flannel to absorb sound?!? Why didn't I think of that? Now I have buy a Home Theater Outfit to match my functional Home Theater Ashtray + Drink Coaster set :angry:
How much longer until I can get a Matrix-esque "Brain Plug" to directly transmit movies into my skull so I can stop the endless horror that is rebuying film formats, HT equipment, furniture, and (lastly but not leastly) HD Sunglasses (I swear to Cthulhu I actually saw a commercial for these.... Do I need to get HD contact-lens's before I can get an improved signal with the sunglasses?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks