I Need Info on AMC Amps.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lando P, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Lando P

Lando P Agent

I'm about to order an AMC 2N100-3 (3 x 150w/ch.) power amp. I'll be adding this to my HK 510 to power my fronts and let the receiver power the surrounds. Then eventually I would add another 2N100-3 for the rears. I have a rear center that runs through my old Pro-logic decoder and hopefully adding an amp to the decoder for the 6th channel would work.

I was wondering if there's anyone who could share some info or experience with this amp. I'm deciding with the AMC because of the price and specs. I'm holding off the order until I get enough info about the unit. And I thought this would be the place.

The other 3-channel amps I'm considering are B&K ST3140 (3 x 140w/ch) and Denon POA-8300 (3 x 120w/ch). Other notables are B&K AV6000 (6 x 125w/ch) and Marantz MA-6100 (monoblock x 125w). The Denon and Marantz are both THX Ultra certified.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I would like that too.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

It would help to know what speakers you are using....

4. Lando P

Lando P Agent

I'm using Acoustic Energy Aegis 3 for fronts, Aegis Center, Aegis 1 for rears & Aegis Sub. For my rear center, I'm using an Acoustic Research PSC25.

Thanks.

5. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this company. Anyone have any info? Relatively speaking, they are less expensive, and if they perform well...

6. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

AMC is similar in quality to NAD. They may even share some sourcing and jobbers.

They are rather big in Asia and have some tube equipment also.

Their pre/pros and receivers are not as "up to date" as the Denon/HK/Yamaha/Sony/Onkyo lines, but their amps are quality and well priced.

If they lack in a major area, it is marketing.

I have a friend who has some and found it at a very good price point (5 channel amp)

John Casler

7. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Yep, well said John...AMC literally has no marketing but they make really nice stuff! The main designer of the AMC line used to work for NAD so that is why there are many similarities. AMC is mostly an OEM for many hi-fi companies out there.

Ok, on to the amps. I own the 2N100-5 and the 2100. I could not be more pleased with either. Considering I picked the 2N100-5 up for $400 and the 2100 for $180 I'm even more pleased. :) Very neutral sounding, VERY dynamic for HT yet subtle enough for quite passages. After a good burn in, they soften in the treble area and create a very "warm" sound...which I tend to like. Some have complained their not as detailed as other amps, ATI for example, but this I equate to having more detail in the upper frequencies and being not as "warm sounding." I tend to like the warming sound for HT because it softens the often HARSHNESS that can accompany movie soundtracks but that's just me.

I'd say for the money you can't go wrong. They're simple, looking and to use, but they have what's under the hood that counts!

E

8. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I thought the Gremlin was totally outclassed by the Pacer.

10. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Hey,
    I had two Rambler Americans and a Sportabout wagon.
    and then I bought a car.
    HEy, Camp started it. [​IMG]

11. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Forgetaboudit!
    The AMC Javelin was good enough for Mark Donohue and it was good enough for me.
    John Casler [​IMG]

12. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Now that this thread has disintegrated into a discussion of the, uh, for want of a better word, "fine" automobiles, I gotta tell this ridiculous, but true AMC story.
    A friend of mine, who is color-blind bought an AMX. He told everyone that he knew that it was a nice shade of blue. When he got it, everyone tried to tell him it was purple. It was actually called "wild plum". My Sportabout was the same color. It took four days before he was convinced, and that was only because it dawned on him that all the people who were trying to tell him what color his car was did not know or see each other regularly.
    He was teased about his 'blue Javelin" for quite a while after that.
    Blame Camp for bringing this up about those cars.[​IMG]

13. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

Can someone confirm how much the AMC 2100 actually weighs? I was just looking at it at Etronics, and it says it only weighs 9.4 Kg, yet the shipping weight is over 20 Kg. Is this right?

14. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Jereme, the 2100 weighs about 25 lbs.

E