What's new

i need help with wiring (1 Viewer)

Joe_L

Grip
hi guys,

i'm new here. i hope you guys can help me. i'm just getting my ht set up. i just bought a samsung 61" dlp, denon 3805, denon 2910, definitive tech bp7002 (pair), def tech clr 3000, def tech bp2x (pair), and svs sub pb12-isd. my problem is, i don't know how to wire things. anyone who is familiar with the products, can you please give some detailed instructions on what cables/wires to buy and how do i wire it? thanks

Don*A

Agent
DVD to TV 1 HDMI Cable HDMI on DVD to HDMI on TV
DVD to 3805 1 Digital Coax digital out to digital in and 3 pairs of RCA interconnects to connect multi out to multi in
3805 to Sub 1 RCA sub cable sub out on reciver to line input of sub
And 6 sets of speaker wire.
Lengths will all depend on where the gear is.
You did not mention TV signal if you got a box it will also need to go through 3805 for audio. Any more questions? Good Luck!! PS: Nice setup your going to love it.

Joe_L

Grip
what is the 3 pairs of RCA interconnects for? i thought the digital coax handles that already.

also, besides the svs subs, the bp7002 (pair) and the clr300 are all powered subs included, so how would i wire the sub cable?

i also have a hd cable box....

how do i calibrate or set it up once it's hooked up???

since hdmi carries audio as well as video, will the audio part cancel out if i use the digital coax to the receiver??

anything else that i need to know???

Don*A

Agent
The 3 pairs of interconnects are for SACD and DVD audio these formats can not be transmitted throgh the digital coax.
Depending on the HD box you will need another digital cable probally toslink maybe it will have a coax to if it does use that. Also use HDMI or DVI for video if it has it.
HDMI can carry audio but you will be using your 3805 for the dolby digital not the TV so it will just send the video signal.
For the subs Call SVS they will walk you through options but I think the only option is to use splitters.
Has for calibration start with the auto eq and then tweak from there. It can be pretty involved but letting it do the work will let you enjoy it then you can start playing with it to learn.
I would reccommend getting The TV ISF calibrated it makes a big improvement

Joe_L

Grip
what cables should i use? any recommendations??? i would prefer something that's not too high end where i end up just paying for the brand? also any recomendations for a surge protector/line conditioner?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Joe: Just curious here. Have you not bothered to read the owner's manuals that came with all your equipment? Those make an excellent starting point for information as to how to connect all the equipment. JB

Joe_L

Grip
yeah i did, it's just that i'm not really good when it comes to wiring and some of them are new terms to me. the last time i wired a stereo equipment it was just connecting the red and black wires to the speakers. now when i go to speaker wire sites, they have what's called banana plugs which i'm not sure if i can use or not. a lot has changed from 12 years ago. sorry about the questions again. it's just that i need help

MikeGee

Second Unit
I need to pick up a digital coax cable this week.. To me they all looks the same tho when i see prices are all over the place there has to be some sort of difference... what would we be missing if we'd go with a cheaper digital coax cable?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
joe -

first of all, nice gear. i think you'll be very happy.

where did you buy this gear from? did they not show you how to hook this all up? also, did they not offer to sell you all the necessary cabling? if i were you, i'd go back and talk to whoever sold you this stuff. heck, i sell low-end gear at best buy, and even we show customers how to hook this stuff all up.

jack also mentions reading the owners manuals. take a while and really read the manuals, then post specific questions based upon what the manual says. that will help us give you specfic info.

i'm not real familiar with your gear. does the 3805 upconvert video signals to component out? if so, then i suggest you run all your audio and video signals into the receiver, then simply run one set of cables from the receiver out to your tv. one exception...don mentions hdmi, so i assume the dvd player has it - if so then i would say use that to run the video to from the dvd to the tv.

your deftechs are powered, but i believe (but am not sure) that you still just run the speaker cable from the receiver to the speaker. then you plug each speaker into the wall. the speaker should have a built-in crossover to pass all the low frequency sounds to the powered subs. btw, since you have a svs sub, and powered subs on the deftechs, you're going to have a *lot* of bass ... possibly too much.

----------

so let's start with that. read the manuals, try wiring stuff yourself (it's a good learning experience) -- then post specific questions and we'll help ya out.

Joe_L

Grip
thanks for the help guys...

i'm located at socal, (southern california)

by the way, i called deftechs this morning. They said that i should get 6 sets of speaker cables with banana plugs for convenience. then connect the sub out from the 3805 to the svs. according to them, just use speaker wires to the deftechs and set the it on lfe + mains on large or something to that nature.

i'm really stressing out about setting this thing up. i don't even know what kind of cables to buy.

i bought my def techs at leigh adams in ontario mills, ontario, ca and i bought my receiver, tv, dvd at magnolia hi-fi (inside best buy) in yorba linda, ca

now i just need to buy the cables and surge protector / line conditioner (after i determine which one i'll need and what brand)

Joe_L

Grip
so to confirm:

1 - hdmi cable (dvd to tv)
1 - dvi cable (hd cable to tv)
2 - digital coax (dvd to receiver / hd cable to tv)
5 - speaker cables with banana plugs
1 - sub cable (receiver to svs)
3 - pairs of interconnects for sacd/dvd-a (dvd to receiver)
1 - surge protector / line conditioner

am i missing anything else?

do you suggest running sub cables to the pair of def techs tower and just getting a y splitter or something???

should i get avia or dve or can i just calibrate using the mic from the auto calibration feature of the 3805?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
unless you're trying something different, both digital connections should go to your receiver.

as far as the cables, speaker wiring, and line conditioner go, that's up to you. you can spend crazy amounts of money on these accessories. however, i personally feel a decent quality cable (like the acoustic reserch brand, or the gold-plated radio-shack brand) will work just fine.

if you get bored, buy some inexpensive cabling, then get some fancy stuff. hook them up and see if you hear a difference - that will tell you if it's worth the money.

if i may make a suggestion. for now, use the auto-calibration feature on the 3805. i think you need to get everything working, then kick back and actually *enjoy* your system for a few weeks. then, once you've settled into your groove, then worry about extra tweaking/calibrating.

Joe_L

Grip
i'm looking at cobalt cables....

do i need banana plugs on both ends?? $90/speaker wire???

man that's expensive

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,
If you think $90 is a lot, just keep looking. (Audioquest,Kimber,Crystalcable,Siltech...)I personally never thought I'd pay that much. But I went ahead and bought some of those Cobalt cables and well, I was immediately impressed. At the time, I could afford a small little luxury item like that. Otherwise I would have simply kept using basic speaker wires (monster...) at about 12 AWG or bigger. The wires I'd been using sounded just fine to me. (until I swapped them out, that is.):)

I'd say get your system set up first and enjoy it for a while then you can always order some Cobalts. They have great customer service and have a return policy and a lifetime warrenty.

Don*A

Agent
You will be happy with the Cobalt. Like Mitch said they are also a great company to deal with. The will also help you with hooking everything up if you call. Also look around their site lots if good info. I am not a beleiver in boutique cables I have bought them then got tired of spending $$$$$$ So I started experimenting with the companies I listed in the last post. Their value is off the charts. And their Service call one of these guys and you will talk to someone that actually cares and if you do not need it they will tell you the real deal. By the way moving from RS lamp cord to these companies will make a diiferance. Just think about the $$$ you just spent on that gear. I have had and still do have some of those items they are worth a cable of that quality. All three of those companies offer a 30 day no questions ask retirn policy. Also agree with setting up that great gear and enjoy and tweak later,You can not break it and tweaking as you will see is why most of us do this as a hobby. Good Luck and Enjoy!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I believe in good video cables for HD video signals. But for the speakers, my DefTechs use basic 12 ga speaker wire from a spool. I use the dual banana plugs from Radio Shack (27?-308) for behind the speakers ($6 ea) and the single bananas (27?-306) for behind the reciever.

A good value that will get you 95% of the way in speaker wire is the "Sound King" brand from www.partsexpress.com. Buy a spool and use it everywhere.

Keep in mind that if your system is mainly for Movies - the speaker wires tend to be much less important than for a Music system.

And for the video cables, try www.bluejeanscables.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks