I need help with the Kenwood VR-509

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike leslie, Jan 10, 2002.

1. mike leslie

mike leslie Auditioning

I posted this in the interconnect forum, but after looking at the various posts I thought I may get better responses here. Apologies in advnace for the double post

I just purchased kenwood VR 509 and I am trying to hook the thing up. What a mass of confusion. I have two main problems. Any help is appreciated:

1. I have a 32 in TV With s-video hook-ups. I also have digital cable with s-video. The problem is that if I use this, I am unable to use my VCR b/c it lacks s-video. I also cannot attach my camcorder for the same reason. There is something in the instructions that states if you use s-vide for one component you have to sue tehm for all. Is there any getting around this? Are all digital recievers this restrictive?

2. MY digital cable decoder is made by GI. It has dolby digital output-and sounds great. The problem is that analog signals are not carried over the digital connect. I had to wire RCA connections in separately. Wehn I go to an analogue station, the receive does not automatically shift over, I have to go to the reciever to change the mode manually. The remote does not appear to do this. Is there something I am missing? Are other units like this as well.

This is a pain in the @ss. I am tempted to turn the thing in and return to a more simple life. Please help.

MIke

2. Joe Coccimiglio

Hi Mike,

I don't have all the answers but I am going thru the same thing wih my receiver. I hope this makes you feel better, to know your not alone. I have the coax out from my DVD feeding into the digital in on the receiver and RCA for the video. When I had the S-video hooked up I could not watch cable T.V. so this I found to be the solution. I have been doing some reading and I think what will work better is to have an optical feed from my DVD and this will avoid the two s-video connections. That is my $0.02 I hope it helps. Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Mike: I have a couple of ideas that might help...
    1. Radio Shack sells a composite RCA to S-video converter (stock # 15-1238) for $19.99. While I have not used it, I have seen some references to it on the web and the feedback is that it works pretty good. (Joe: If you can't get one directly in Canada (but I think you can), you could order from http://www.radioshack.com If I understand correctly, your problem is similar to Mike's. If so, switching to an optical digtal cable won't help you with a video/picture problem.)
    (FWIW, unfortunately, the only receivers that offer conversion from one video format to another are still much pricier than the Kenwood 509.)
    2. I am not familiar with the General Instruments cable box. But typically, the majority of digital outputs are not Dolby Digital only. The digital output "should" also output PCM (CD type digital audio.) If you have a setup menu, go into it and make sure the digital output is configured for both PCM and DD (or call the cable company to verify if the box can also output PCM/CD digital audio.) Then, when you switch between DD and PCM channels, the Kenwood will automatically switch accordingly. You "shouldn't" need the analog at all (if I'm on the right track here.) (I tested my 509 by using my DVD player with both a 5.1 DD DVD and a regular CD. The 509 switches between 5.1 DD and whatever other surround mode I choose (on the initial setup) when the PCM plays. I don't have any analog connection between the two.)
    Good Luck!

4. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

HOw many inputs do you have on the TV?

Don't get discouraged. There is a way around your "problem." Why not just use the TV to switch input to the VCR? Let us know more about your input options on the TV.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

www.partsexpress.com also has video converters that are the same as the Radio Shack's but at half the price.

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

For the VCR can't you just run composite video from VCR to TV, and just switch sources on the TV?, then run the analog output from VCR to VIDEO 1 input on receiver? Then run both S-video's from the digital cable and the DVD player to receiver, use VIDEO 2 for the cable and use DVD/6CH for the DVD player.

Also you can connect your camcorder using the s-video on the front of the receiver.

No you cannot switch from digital to analog with the remote. But if VIDEO 3 is not being used you could use the analog out from the cable box to the VIDEO 3 input and assign VIDEO 3 as analog(the receiver will remember) with the composite video output on the cablebox to TV and use VIDEO 2 for the upper digital channels with the s-video out from cable box. Lot of wires but it'll work.

7. mike leslie

mike leslie Auditioning

Thank you all for your help. I am almost there, but not quite yet.

1. Although my tv has an s-video and a only pne composite video input, it only allows one of the two to be connected. There is no switch. The instructions state that I should not connect both sources

regarding this solution:

"No you cannot switch from digital to analog with the remote. But if VIDEO 3 is not being used you could use the analog out from the cable box to the VIDEO 3 input and assign VIDEO 3 as analog(the receiver will remember) with the composite video output on the cablebox to TV and use VIDEO 2 for the upper digital channels with the s-video out from cable box. Lot of wires but it'll work."

Because my cable box only has one s-video out and one composite out I cannot use both B/c of my issue # 1 problem.

Thanks again

Mike

8. mike leslie

mike leslie Auditioning

Thank you all for your help. I am almost there, but not quite yet.

1. Although my tv has an s-video and a only pne composite video input, it only allows one of the two to be connected. There is no switch. The instructions state that I should not connect both sources

regarding this solution:

"No you cannot switch from digital to analog with the remote. But if VIDEO 3 is not being used you could use the analog out from the cable box to the VIDEO 3 input and assign VIDEO 3 as analog(the receiver will remember) with the composite video output on the cablebox to TV and use VIDEO 2 for the upper digital channels with the s-video out from cable box. Lot of wires but it'll work."

Because my cable box only has one s-video out and one composite out I cannot use both B/c of my issue # 1 problem. How about if I jsut go composite video for my entire system. 1) Can I use a video splitter on the composite output from the cable box? What will this do to signal qulaity. 2) I suppose I culd use these s-video/RCA converters. Do they work both ways?

Thanks

Thanks again

Mike

9. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

10. Joe Coccimiglio

Thanks to everybody for your valuable input. I am going to look into the cable converter that might to the trick. I have done some experimenting and found when I take the T.V. out of "Home Theater mode" I can get video from cable and S-video but I have to use two remotes. Compared to when the T.V. is in "HT mode" then the it is just a monitor and the remaining jacks become "dead". Has anyone encountered this with a 36" Mitsubishi T.V.?