What's new

i need help with my sub (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i think ive asked this befor but i dont remember... i have a sub and i dont know if i sould use it from the pre outs L/R or use it on the sub out for movies or should i have it with the L/R from reciver speaker outs to sub ins then main speakers hooked to sub? im not sure how to use this please help me .. thank you

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Ewe ahlso need hepl wiht ur spehling. Don't take offense, I'm just messing around. :)

It really depends on your receiver, but it's generally easier and more efficient to use the "sub out"/"LFE" connection to the sub. Set all speakers to small and the sub = yes. Crank the sub's low-pass filter (crossover) to it's max setting to keep it out of the way.

Regards,
--Steve

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I also had the same question as Lyden. The thing is my sub doesnt turn on at low volume levels (velodyne). So which way of connecting my sub would help solve this problem ?
Also velodyne mentions in the Manual to use Y connector with Sub pre-out from the reciever for better signal sensing.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
hmm i would hook it to the sub out but when i listen to my music in 2ch mode i cant use the sub i dont have the remote to ajust the settings and my towers arent to keen on the low end they tend to get uhhh whats the word like murred or soemthing at high volumes so i had it set so the sub covers that .. but in moviese i get no reall differance in lows ... uhh no offence taken lol i never was good with me spelliong :)

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
First thing's first. Once you have the sub hooked up, you must calibrate it (and your other speakers) with an SPL meter. Here is a link on setting up subs to get you started.

Rajeev_s,
If your sub doesn't turn on at low volumes, it's not necessarily a connection issue. Try increasing the ch level to the sub on the receiver and decrease the volume on the sub itself. Sending "a little more juice" to the sub can sometimes fix this. Also, if the sub has an on/auto/off type power switch, leave it ON all the time. It won't hurt anything.

Lyden,
If you don't have the remote, you might be in trouble. You can often get pretty cheap universal remotes that you can program to work with a number of AVR's. Some AVRs will let you get to the settings by navigating through the front panel (mine won’t, so my kids and “the remote” are not allowed in the same room at the same time ;)). Check your manual or the company website. You might have to use the Speaker level connections if you can't play with the settings and the mains are stuck on a large setting.

Good Luck,
--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks