I need help with my Marantz RC-1200 remote !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francois_Laliberte, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Francois_Laliberte

Hi everyone,
    I have used the search feature but have not found what I need.
    I have also posted this message at remotecentral, I never post the same message in two forums, but in this case I need help so bad I am sure you would understand.
    Like I said, I'm in big trouble. I had promised my girlfriend that *if* I bought a Home Theater system (very cumbersome in our living room), I would at the very least have a remote that does everything. Well I bought the Home Theater and remote (Marantz RC-1200).
    Well it's been a year already that I bought this Marantz RC-1200 remote control and I still haven't programmed it. So today I decided to do it at once.
    However, I am running into problems; I cannot simply program any key at all. Here is what I am doing:
    Task: be able to power on my TV from the RC-1200
    1) On Rc-1200, press "TV"
    2) With a pen, click "mode" until it is at "Learn"
    3) Bring up my TV remote face-to-face with RC-1200, and then press on ON/OFF on RC-1200 at the same time I am pressing "power" on my TV's remote.
    Nothing happens, I try to change the mode to "use" to see if it worked, and no, it doesn't.
    I also tried pushing the button on top on (3)THX but it does not work.
    The salesman who sold me the remote (a year ago) is extremely busy with the year-end sales and cannot help me at this time.
    I am only looking at programming the very basic features from my 5 remotes (digital cable, VCR, DVD, A/V receiver and TV).
    Here is my gear in case it makes any difference:
    TV: Toshiba TW40X81
    DVD: Toshiba SD-5109
    VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U550
    Digital cable: Explorer 2000
    Receiver: Yamaha RX V496
    Remote: Marantz RC-1200
    Can you guys help out a fellow Home Theater fan in trouble ?
    Any help would be appreciated,
    François
    laliberte_f@hotmail.com
    You may either post here, reach me via email or microsoft messenger.
    ps: there are two macro features I am looking at doing 1) Powering on all components 2) To watch DVD's, change TV inputs until it reaches the right one.

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Try this:
    1) using a pen, place the RC1200 in Learn mode.
    2) select the component on the RC1200 - in this case it is TV.
    3) for the button you want to assign, press once and release -in this case the On/Off.
    4) press the TV's remote button while it is face to face with the RC1200. After a moment the RC1200's display should read "OK"

3. Francois_Laliberte

ChrisAG,

well, it worked.

YOU'RE DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a milion, I really appreciate it !!

4. john friemann

john friemann Auditioning

Give up the GHOST!!!!

Break out your credit card and go get a different one....

I had to go to a AA meeting after a couple of frustrating hours with it......

Go get a universal remote sl9000 and get happy again.....

PS: read the manual, it will help you.....

5. Francois_Laliberte

John,

I have read the manual - but for some &$^$% reason I can't understand it, it does not seem very clear. You seem to share my frustration, so I guess the manual didn't help you either... What is that remote you are talking about ? I paid a lot of money for that rc-1200, it would be a shame to trash it before having tried to make it work.

ChrisAG,

I have finished inputting all the keys I needed in my remote. Now I am working on the macros. What I want to do is pretty simple;

Watch DVDs:

===========

1) Power On TV

2) Power On DVD

3) Power On receiver

4) Switch audio to DVD on receiver

What I am trying to do is start up the macro status, then select "DVD" (as it is the trigger for steps 1 to 4), but then after that I don't know what to do. "Power on TV" is on my TV mode at number 5. Should I cycle through the menus to choose it? Or should I bring my TV remote and bring it face-to-face again with the rc-1200 ?

I want to do smiliar macros for "Watch VCR" and "Watch TV".

Once again, any help is much appreciated!

6. Francois_Laliberte

Opps I forgot...

I have another question;

My volume is on my receiver's remote.

Now for VCR, DVD and TV I had to reserve two memory slots (volume up / volume down).

This seems repetitive.

I there a way to be able to access volume up / volume down on all inputs without needing to reserve two memory slots by input ?

Thanks

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not sure about the 1200, but on my 2000 mkII, the volume buttons are assignable. That means you can have them work for the chosen source, providing it has a volume function.

8. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Francois,

I had a Marantz SR6200 and the RC1200 volume worked for it no matter which mode it was in, except for TV (where it controled the TV volume). The macros can be a little tricky to program - I'm not an expert at that yet, but they seem to work best when the AMP command is selected last.

John,

The RC1200 may be slightly outclassed by some of the newer 3rd party remotes, but it is pretty close to perfect once you get the hang of it - backlit LCD, flawless IR for other components, and my favorite, good ergonomics for comfort and operating the unit by feel alone.

9. Francois_Laliberte

Hi,

Anyone else can help me with macros on a Marantz RC-1200 remote ?

Thanks,

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Chris - the 2000 mkII is at least a year older than the rc1200 [​IMG] It's also from Marantz/Phillips, and I was looking at both of them. I went with the 2000 because I didn't like the jog dial on the 1200.

11. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

John Garcia - Sorry, I meant John Friemann, who mentioned above that Francois should get rid of the 1200.

As for the RC2000 MKII, I held one in the store, and it's an impressive unit. But due to its lighter weight and lower button count, I find the 1200 to be a little more convenient for lazy one-handed operation.