I need help with my HT speaker configurationt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russ Stark, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Russ Stark

Russ Stark Auditioning

Aug 11, 2002
    I am building a system for pure HT with a projector. I do not know much about speakers.

I currently have 2 Cerwin Vega DX-9 400 watt 4ohm 30hz-20khz speakers. There old very large and heavy. (18"x18"x36" tall with 15" woofers) I have 2 Bose 301 and 2 Bose 201 - purchased before I realized they were over priced products.

I am leaning to a 20-39pc for the super low base. My question is will my big Cerwins do a good job for me or will their big subs fight/interfere with the 20-39pc?

Also, will the Bose work good? I wouldn't mind buying new and keeping my Bose for the other stereo either. Any help would be great.

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

May 27, 2002
    Welcome to HTF,

I cant say this for sure, because there are to much variables in this, but building a HT with different manufacturers is not a good idea, if you are looking for a balance and timbre match set up. But I'm not saying it will sound bad, but it depends on what you want to acomplish.

I kind of like Cervin in the past, and they built good speakers, but to have a good set up, I think you should start from scratch.

Consider JBL, Paradigm, Axiom, Klipsch for speakers. And SVS for sub (20-39 PCi is a very good option right now, it is $100 off)

It will depend on how much are you willing to spend, size of the room, preference (music/movies), etc.

But you could go with

1) Four JBL S38 $560
    or Four JBL S26 $350
    or Two JBL 412 and two S38 $1000

2)One JBL S center $140

3)SVS 20-39 PCi $550

Try to audtion as much as posible, check the forums, you will find many information that could give you ideas.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach