What's new

I need help with my denon amp and energy sepakers !! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
If I read you right I could place my projector at 14 feet throw distance and still have a 143 inch screen with maximum quality image ? Considering that it is set in 16:9 aspect ratio...

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
is this good for my sub woofer, I need 45 feet of it... this is my sub : http://www.velodyne.com/vproducts/docs/dls-r%20manual_english_web.pdf This is the cable : http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10244&cs_id=1024406&p_id=4798&seq=1&format=2

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yes - according to the data in the calculator you linked to. But as Robert_J mentioned, if you're going to go the DIY route and use blackout fabric (fabric that has a white vinyl backing, which is used for the screen surface) you're limited in screen size due to the maximum width that the material comes in.

Obviously you don't want/can't have any visible seams in the screen surface, so keep that in mind as you try to locate materials for your screen.

For reference, at 143" diagonal, the height of the screen is 70" (124" wide). If you plan to use any sort of fabric or other screen material to stretch around a frame, you'll need several extra inches to wrap around and fasten, so you'd need a raw material size of at least 78"x132". The max size Robert_J referred to (105") has a height of 52" - add extra for wrapping, and I'm guessing the max width of the blackout material was 60".

Alternatively, you could use some sort of flat board that is painted using any of a number of specialized paints and paint formulas, but again, it will be very difficult to find a single piece of any material that's 70"x124". Hiding seams can be done, but takes additional time and effort.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by jesseroberge . It's 50 feet, CL-2 rated so you can run in-wall if you need, and RG-6 which is all that you'll ever need for a subwoofer (RG-59 works too, but the cost difference is negligible only about $4).

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
I need help choosing a 7.1 audio kit for my new HT room... I already have the 5.1 kit but wanted to add the 2 extra speakers http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en/products/cf-50-5-1-overview/ i want to stay with energy speakers if possible :) What is the recommended height for all the speakers ? What happens if not all my wires have the same length ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm sure someone at Energy could offer input on which of their speakers would work best to round out the 7.1 setup, but a quick glance at their product brochure shows the CB-5 might be a good option. There's really no reason to get bipoles for the back surrounds - small direct radiating speakers will work just fine.

For speaker placement, check out this guide. Surrounds (side and rear) should be a bit above ear level - many folks wall mount them near the ceiling and aim them slightly downward.

Finally, the myth about "all your speaker wire runs should be the same length" is just that - a myth. Run whatever length speaker wire you need and don't worry about it.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
I am looking for screen material, can you guys help ?? I will be using this projector: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350-projection-calculator-pro.htm between 14 and 15 feet There is a ratio to respect for the screen contrast or what ever... (1.0 Gain), grey (0.8 Gain) or silver (1.3 Gain) ??

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As far as the gain goes, no there is no formula. The color and material determine the gain. You can use a first layer mirror and paint for an extremely high gain screen (yes, there are instructions for this in another forum). The PM with the link to the Ebay screen - I have no idea if it is good or bad. The seller is obviously honest with 100% feedback but I've never seen a review of an Ebay screen. I've stated more than once, I'm extremely happy with my blackout cloth screen and you can't beat $10. I went this route because I wanted to try some different paints on it. The Behr "silverscreen" always peaked my interest. I even designed the border to be removable so if I didn't like the pain, I could replace the cloth and be back to normal in about an hour.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
Thanks Robert, Just purchased the eBay screen, will tell you more about it in a few weeks :) As for the 7.1 extra speakers, I went with the CB-5 's.... Still wondering if I have too much wire I don't need... I have 50 feet per speaker but actually my longest wire should be 40 feet, will I see a difference if I have an extra 10 feet of 16 AWG speaker wire ?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will hear no difference with an extra 10ft of wire. I don't even think you could measure a difference unless you moved up to scientific quality measurement tools.

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
I'm still wondering if I have too much wire I don't need...

I have 50 feet per speaker but actually my longest wire should be 40 feet, will I see a difference if I have an extra 10 feet of 16 AWG wire per speaker?

Considering that I went with the myth that all wires have to be the same length based on the mesure of the longest wire...

Real Name
Jesse Robrege
thanks a million for the quick reply :)

Sorry for the post above I don't know how to delete a post... Didn't mean to repeat myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks