I need help with my Asus A7V266-E

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Well, Im building a cpu for a friend and I have everything up and running. In other words, things are connected to the mobo and installed properly. I have one problem. I cannot get the floppy drive to work. I have tried two floppy drives, no luck. I have swapped IDE cables, no luck. I've tried a different power source, no luck. The cables are installed properly - I literally cannot get the A drive to work - but the BIOS recognizes that there is a floppy drive!
    What can I do???? Do you think I have a bad mobo? I got it from www.mwave.com where they supposedly test the mobo and processor before shipping.
    One other thing. When I get into the BIOS and attempt to change my boot sequence, I can't select anything but Floppy A or Floppy B under boot #1. When I go to Boot#2, I can only select the CD or DVD and when I go to Boot#3, I can only select one of the two hard drives. In other words, normally you can go under Boot#1 and select Floppy or CD or DVD or Hard drive, etc. I just dont get this.
    [​IMG]

2. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    I have this M/B..and no problems (yet)
    I have the cheapest floppy drive made (with cheap generic cables) and it seems to work ok.
    When I get home I'll take a look at the BIOS settings...can't remember if your comments matched mine or not.
    In the mean time, check out this site (if you haven't already) and check the FAQ and get the latest BIOS:
    A7V Stuff
    Good luck,
    ~Rob

3. Rob Varto

Rob,

How can I d/l and install the BIOS if my floppy doesn't work?

4. Rob Varto

Could not having my HDD LED hooked up affect the floppy operation?

For the record, I couldn't find where to hook up the HDD LED pinout. The manual wasn't specific to that connector.

5. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

I don't have this mobo, but I have the ASUS A7A266, so hopefully I can give some help.

When I had floppies not working for me in the past, it was invariably pilot error. Either I had the cable on wrong (pin 1 of the cable wasn't lined up with pin 1 on the drive) or on backwards (the floppy end of the cable was plugged into the mobo), or I used the wrong connector on the cable. Many floppy cables have connections for two floppies, and some of the wires get reversed between those connections so the BIOS can tell which floppy is A: and which is B:. The A: floppy is usually the connector on the end, not in the middle.

My advice: take your floppy and cable to a friend's computer and hook it up. Verify that it works. If it works there and not on yours, then it's the mobo.

As for the boot order... for my system, I use the +/- keys to change the order of devices. Hitting enter on any of the choices only lets me choose between different items of the same type.

6. Rob Varto

You guys were right... my error.:b

I got things working... now one questions I do have is this:

I cannot seem to disable the RAID on this board. I have BIOS version 1005.004 do I need a later BIOS?

Thanks again!

7. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Well, I disabled the RAID controller with BIOS 1006, and I saw that they just finalized BIOS version 1007 on Monday (3/25/2002).

Not sure if you can do it with only version 1005, look carefully thru the options...if you see it -disable it.

Good Luck,

~Rob

8. Rob Varto

Got it. So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed as I setup the system.