What's new

I need help with installation of my home theater system! (1 Viewer)

v0lten

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I feared that would be the answer. It seems the only way I can get an Xbox to work with this setup is to find an older model xbox that uses composite audio and video. Because I dont think they make an HDMI to Composite cable.

Well thanks for your help again, if anyone has any other ideas, Im all ears...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And keep in mind you still wouldn't get surround sound with standard red & white audio RCA cables.

if anyone has any other ideas, Im all ears...
I'm sure you'll be getting a better answer from someone else soon.

v0lten

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
When you say I wont get surround sound, do you mean perfect quality surround sound, or just no sound coming through the surround speakers?

Because I had it temporarily setup with red and white cables and the xbox came through all speakers. My friends also just have their surround sound hooked up to their TV with just the red and white cables in the Audio OUT on the TV. And since their xbox is hooked up to the tv, the sound has to go through the audio out and then through the receiver.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
When you say I wont get surround sound, do you mean perfect quality surround sound, or just no sound coming through the surround speakers?
You'll not get real 5.1 surround sound. Using the red & white analog audio cables, will just give you stereo. But, with the receiver set to Dolby Pro Logic II, you'll get simulated surround, so sound will come from all speakers. It's just that simulated surround isn't as good as real surround sound. Same with your friends. Not usually possible to get real 5.1 surround sound going through the tv first (99% of tvs won't allow it).

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
There's a modular component cable for the 360 that plugs in directly above the HDMI output - it has an optical audio out on it - and it's placed to where you can't plug in HDMI and component at the same time. I know cause I have one on my old, dead 360 (RROD) that had the HDMI Falcon chipset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks