What's new

I NEED HELP WITH COMPATIBILITY!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

MiguelP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm planning to get a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV A/V Reciever because of its great sound technology and the 1080p HDMI.

Alright I own a CRT Rear projection Mitsubishi WS-65613 Goldplus Series HDTV and it can output 480i or p and 1080i only! Since most Blu-ray are
1080p and 1080i compatible, I want to experience the full power of Blu-ray.

So I will need that Pioneer reciever to get 1080p correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't own a Blu-ray yet,but I'm planning to get a Sony PS3 and my planning to connect the HDMI cable from the PS3 to the Pioneer Reciever HDMI inputs. From the reciever I will need a HDMI to DVI cable since my Mitsubishi lacks any HDMI inputs. Will that work out great?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Okay. If your TV is only capable of displaying a 1080i image, then there is absolutely no way of getting it to display a 1080p image. You will need to output blu-ray in 1080i mode. So, don't buy a new receiver hoping it is going to improve the picture quality of your TV. It won't. Also, you are not going to be able to use a HDMI/DVI adapter. These don't work because DVI inputs are not HDCP compliant. HDCP is a new copy-protection scheme that is supposed to keep piracy down by not allowing digital content to be output through a non-protected output. ie: DVI. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD simply won't work with it.

However, you CAN use your component connection and will still get a full 1080i image. I think you'll be very happy with a component connection image at 1080i. If you are absolutely dying to see full 1080p, then you will need a new display.

MiguelP

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen blu-ray on LCD, DLP at my local home theater stores and they look exactly like my HDTV broadcasts like discovery channel, INHD, etc. Except the fact that LCD,DLP are just much brighter,but the quality looks the same. I seriouslly dont see a difference between a 1080i and 1080p,but it should though because 480i looks so much horrible compare to 480p. So it should look better. I'm an audiophiler not a tv man so I don't have alot of experiene when it comes to televisions.

So whats the point of recievers having the 1080p conversion via HDMI?

And whats the point with the HDMI to to dvi cables?

I remember back then televisions that didn't have progressive scan output can still be outputted by a reciever that can convert signals to 480p. I don't get why it cannot do what with a non 1080p television? Its because of the HDCP Compliant BS uh?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just to expand a bit on Ben’s HDCP comment HDMI is a digital delivery system that combines audio and video signals over the same cable. DVI is also a digital system that only carries video signals (and has somewhat less bandwidth than HDMI).

HDCP is a copy protection scheme that must be present on each and every component from the video source to the display in order to function properly (when HDCP is enabled).

There are plenty of DVI only input displays that are indeed HDCP compliant. I don’t know if your disply is HDCP compliant or not, but a quick check of your manual will answer that question. Assuming that it is HDCP compliant, there are plenty of HDMI to DVI cables that will allow you to connect your system.

I very much doubt that you will be able to detect any difference between 1080i and 1080p. There is a school of thought (to which I subscribe) that does not expect to see any difference.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

Yep, I have one of the first Sammy DLP sets from 2002 (HLM-5065) that has DVI in (no HDMI of course). I have since upgraded to another DLP with HDMI, but prior to that I had just picked up a Denon 2910 with DVI/HDMI out and was curious if it would work with that connection on the older set and sure enough it did. I didn't notice any indication of that in the manual though.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

That's pretty harsh of you to say, actually. There's a pretty big difference between disseminating disinformation and responding with an honest mistake. For example, my Mitsubishi RPTV has a DVI input that is NOT HDCP compatable. There are many, many displays out there with DVI and are not HDCP compliant. My experience with Mitsubishi has been that their TVs from 2002 to 2003 with DVI inputs tended to not be compliant as was the case with my own.

I just checked the Mitsubishi website and they do list the WS-65613 as being HDCP compliant. So, the OP should be fine. I'm glad that Mitsubishi got their act together regarding DVI.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Oh, come on!
Not so long ago most DVI inputs were indeed not HDCP-compliant. I myself own a DELL monitor which happen to have a DVI that's HDCP-compliant, but before I bought that one, I didn't even know they were on the market already.

It's unnecessary harsh and unfriendly, as well as a gross exaggeration to extend this little error to someone's review of a BD-machine.

Lew Crippen already pointed out that these displays exist, please stop pursuing this line of discussion at once!

Cees

MiguelP

Stunt Coordinator
Lets face it guys they're some that have DVI and HDCP Compliant and they are some that are not.

To answers Lew question for me...yes! My Mitsubishi has dvi and its HDCP Compliant. I still use my Samsung HD-931 which upconverts signal to 1080i which its really just expanding the picture a little bit and the samsung uses a typical dvi cable.

I'm guessing maybe the 1080p output has smoother scanlines I assume as oppose to 1080i output. But I serioiuslly cannot tell the difference.

I heard by late 2009 the goverment has mandated every broadcast in the U.S. to be High definition and for people who don't have a high definition will not enjoy its quality.

So this eliminates my question for the recievers features of having 1080p capable. It'll pass 1080p,but its not true 1080p kinda confusing? This is all about compatiblity and money. I just bought my Mitsubishi CRT Widescreen like 2 years ago for 3999.99 dollars!!!! its a 65-inch WS-65613 and the thing that pisses me off when I bought the television back in 2004 JUST 3 MONTHS LATER they started coming out with DLP sets from Samsung and half a year from that time Mitsubishi started to release thier DLP sets for the same freakn price I bought my television. My tv cant even output 720p jesus!!

So whats my best bet guys? In order for my to buy smart this time and avoid future mistakes. Should I just stick with component cables or upgrade to a reciever which has hdmi inputs in order for me to play blu-ray?

One last thing I'm not even sure if the PS3 has any component inputs or outputs.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
THe HMDI receiver will work great and will act as a switcher for your other A/V gear if it does upconversion. I have my Blu-Ray (HDMI), an upconverting DVD player (HDMI) and my XBOX360 (Component) running through a Denon 4806 receiver and out the HDMI monitor jack and it works great. I wish I had waited an extra year to get the CI receiver with the 1080p upconversion, though. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks