I need help with choosing a cd-burner and have some questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I am thinking of getting a dvd burner to go with my h/k 520 and am hoping I can use the burner as a player as well. q1 Will a good cd-burner have playback quality as good as just a stand alone nice cd player? q2 If so can you suggest some burners I can look at that will sound AWESOME for playing cd's as well?

2. Todd smith

I ment to say cd-burner in that first sentence, NOT dvd burner.:b

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Todd, generally speaking, I feel comparably priced stand-alone CD players will outperform recorders. However, some recorders are good players. Take a look at the Harman/Kardon CDR 30, the NAD C 660, and Marantz recorders. The H/K is the cheapest of these models, but is a solid unit. I bought mine from OneCall a little over a year ago for $450, but you might be able to get it for a bit less now. It's a solid player for the money, though I don't use it for playback. It has an HDCD decoder and can play MP3-encoded CDs too. It dubs at 2x and 4x, and I have never made a coaster with it. Copies sound just like the originals to me.
    The above models are consumer decks. However, Tascam and HHB pro models are well regarded as well. Benefits of pro decks is that they can record to computer CD-Rs and CD-RWs and can bypass SCMS. For more information on these decks, go to www.hhb.com , www.tascam.com , and www.samash.com . Note also that Marantz makes pro decks.

4. Todd smith

Keith,

Thanks for the reply! I need to be able to record from one cd-r to another cd-r. Does this mean I need a pro deck? I also need a burner where I can manually fade in and out of tracks. I am a big Dead Head and I want to make mix cd's of live shows so I need to be able to fade in and out of tracks at will. What do I need? Obviously I know very little about the technology. Thanks for your help.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Todd, to record CD-Rs to CD-Rs, you will need a pro deck. I'm sure that some of the pro models have a fade in/out feature, but check the web sites I referenced in my previous post for more information.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

keith have you listened to CD's copied on the stand alone burners vs those from a PC side by side? I'm not doubting you just find it hard to believe that there would be any difference so long as care was taken in both processes.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew said:

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Sorry keith I misread your first post...what can I say its been a LONG week:b