What's new

I need help upgrading my pre/pro! (1 Viewer)

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Rotel RSP-1066 now. I like it, but it was only meant to get me over unit Antem upgraded their AVM-20. Now what I understand from my dealer is they (antem) doesn't know when or even IF the upgrade will happen. Something about not being able to get the new chip. Now that I am all upset, where do I go from here? I am starting to look at the new Theater Grand III. Any ideas of pre/pros in the same class and price of the Antem? Thanks for the help!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I think the Aragon Stage 1 is a little more pricey than the Anthem but it would be worth a look. Also Davis Labs has a processor coming out sometime late summer/fall. Rotel is also working on a big brother to the 1066 that I am guessing will be out around Christmas? Maybe Andrew or somebody has more details on that.

Are you sure about the Anthem? I have not heard that at all. In fact I have been hearing the contrary. I thought the upgrade was supposed to happen in August?

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
That's what my dealer is saying. He stands to lose out on a fairly big sale, so I don't think he would make it up. I hope he is wrong, but I have written Anthem myself and they didn't even respond back. Thanks for the info, I'll check the Aragon out.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
The Rotel is a nice pre-pro for the $ so to really upgrade I think you'll have to spend quite a bit more than the anthem to notice big differences! It all depends on what your trying to accomplish for example are you looking to improve sound in music or ht or both? what amp are you using? If your using a decent amp then maybe consider some used pre-pros like lexicon,krell,classe and Im sure other members will chime in. The first thing I would probably do if I was in your shoes is demo the aragon stage one like another member mentioned it sounds like a nice piece:emoji_thumbsup:
Hope this helps Bob

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob, HT is the biggest part for me. I just started to look at the Sunfire TGIII. The pwr amps I'm using are the Antem MCA-20 and MCA-50. I really thought I was going with the AVM-20.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
I doubt very much that your dealer is being straight with you. I don't know what his motivation is - maybe he wants to sell you the current version AVM-20 or some other product. In retail, any sale today is better than a potential sale next month.
Have a look at this thread which includes a letter from Anthem which is just a few days old.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=154592
Wayne

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The upgrade will happen. It would be the death of the AVM-20 if they didn't offer the upgrade. It is taking too long but I have no doubt we'll see the upgrade this summer...certainly before Outlaw ships the 950 again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks