I need HELP tuning my Dharman clone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyiBe, Feb 27, 2003.

1. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator

I just built a Dharman clone with the Shiva MKII. The box dimensions are W19"xH24"xD20", i am using the 2 3" flared ports and made the cabinet. lined up the walls with polyfill. My question is how much do i cut the ports, the enclosure is 115L...........

Thanks,
    Lu

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Does that 115L account for the braces and the ~3L the Shiva takes up?

3. TonyiBe

Dustin,

No it doesn't, i am the person that emailed you like crazy.... Thanks for all your HELP.... I put in a brace the same heigth and length as the sides with about 9 circle holes the 6 inches. SO i don't know how much volume i have now. I used Winisd to calculate the 115L....

4. TonyiBe

BUMP

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Center tubes should roughly be 9" long (with flares attached this will be 15" long). 100L net gives a tune of 23hz, 110L net give a tune of 22hz and a 120L net gives a tune of 21hz with this port length.

6. TonyiBe

OK,

I cut the flared ports to 9" like dustin said and it sounds good. Now for movies when i crank up the amp a little past 1/2 on the 300-794 PE amp it pops and i have to run to it and turn it down. Please someone help me out.

Thanks

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

That's easy, don't crank up the amp! You should leave the amp around 1/4 of the way up and then calibrate using an SPL meter.

8. TonyiBe

Brian,

If i do that, wont my BASS level go down alot...

Thanks

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,

Yes, but if you don't you may destroy your driver. You decide which is the lesser of the two evils.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The level control on the sub isn't an absolute volume control. It's a gain control. It could be turned all the way down, and if your input signal is strong enough the amp could be put into clipping. With my Tempest and AVA250 hooked into my Onkyo 575 I had to set the level control on the AVA250 to less than 1/4 and the sub level on the receiver to a 1/4 of full in order to get a proper calibration to 10dB below reference.

Grab an analog Radio Shack SPL meter and a calibration disc. Calibrate your system to a 5-10dB below reference level and let us know what kind of levels you are seeing. With that info we can tell you if you are expecting too much from the sub or if there is a problem.

Just one last check, you cut the center tubes of a pair of 3" flared port kits to 9", not a pair of straight 3" PVC pipes to 9"?

11. TonyiBe

Dustin,

The ports are 3" flared ports. I am using a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver, i also have the digital radio shack meter and an SPL CD with tones from 20hz to 100hz. I will calibrate using AVIA tonight and see how it turns out. I also ordered a Stryke AV12 and AV15, which should be here this week.

Thanks

12. TonyiBe

Dustin,

The ports are 3" flared ports. I am using a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver, i also have the digital radio shack meter and an SPL CD with tones from 20hz to 100hz. I will calibrate using AVIA tonight and see how it turns out. I also ordered a Stryke AV12 and AV15, which should be here this week.

Thanks