What's new

I need help please (1 Viewer)

TonyMarchioni

Auditioning
To all,

First off, thanks for taking the time to look and to read this. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for all your help.

Here is my setup:

1) 50 inch wide screen digital projection tv from Toshiba
2) Dishnetwork 3900 receiver
3) Sony de675 receiver
4) Xbox (for game playing and DVD playback)

The Xbox is hooked up using component video and optical cable for audio into the receiver.

The dishnetwork is hooked up using s video and into the receiver using standard rca audio cables from monster.

All cables are from monster as a matter of fact.

Here is the problem...

When playing a xbox game with my son, the picture and audio is perfect.

When watching a dvd with the xbox, playback is fine UNTIL the receiver audio is higher than 25...at the 25 level, the picture gets back lines that appear when people on screen are talking...and only when talking....

BUT-- this also happens when the dishnet receiver is on. anytime the sound gets higher than 25..those black llines appear.

So, here is when I have done. I replaced front speaker (old anyway) with new shielded sony front speakers.

I use the TV's speaker as a center channel (recommend by manufactor) and disabling it in the setup does not effect the outcome.

Rear speakers should not be a problem, so I will not even bring them up.

I do not understand why this is happening...oh, I also wired a new 20amp circuit for the tv so it is not sharing with the rest of the components.

What stinks is I have close to $4,000 into this project and watching movies and/or sat tv is not enjoyable...Do you have any suggestions as to get this fixed. I am willing to try just about anything (as long as it is not out of my budget or my wife will probably kill me)

Thanks again and look forward to getting responses.

Tony

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tony.

This is strange, but should not be hard to fix.

I suspect you are getting interference in your cables.

Start by creating 3 bundles of wires that are kept from each other in the back of your rack:

- Power cords: bundle these together to one side of your rack and keep them away from all interconnects/speaker wires.

- Speaker wires: these wires actually carry POWER. You should route them away from the other wires. Hint: put the receiver on the bottom-shelf of your rack so the speaker wires flow out with a short drop and does not obscure the rest of the equipment.

- Interconnects: you can loosly bundle all of these together with velcro strips

Once you have done this, see if the problem goes away.

If not, try this:

Get the problem to happen. Turn off the receiver, disconnect 1 of the speakers.

Turn on the power and see if the problem goes away. If not, repeat with a different speaker.

Eventually you should find the speaker, speaker wire, terminal on your receiver that is causing the problem. Let us know which it is and then we can dive into solutions.

Hint: Radio Shack makes some very nice single and dual banana plugs for your speaker wires. These make it easy to do a neat wire job and make it simple to disconnect. Highly recommended. Buy 1 of the dual plugs and bring it home to see if your binding posts have the same spacing. (No, there is not a standard spacing.)

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

Are the video signals for these devices being routed through the receiver, or is video going directly from the xbox/direct TV box to the TV set?

-Vince

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Tony: Have you tried any suggestions to solve the problem? (We dont want to let you get lost).

TonyMarchioni

Auditioning
You guys were right on the mark!! The audio receiver was in the middle of my stand, and what must happen (??) is when audio level raises..more power is drawn and since it was right in the middle of the screen....seems to have been the culprit!!

Thanks..to all who helped...I would have never have thought that

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well good.

So the receiver builds a emf field that grows with volume and eventually it affects your TV. Put some space between your rack and the TV.

In fact: a superior placement is to have the TV up front, flanked by the L/R speakers, and your rack off to the side. That rack represents a large reflecting box that can mess up your front sound stage. This is why an open rack is often used. You just need a longer video cable.

Suggestion: put your receiver on the BOTTOM of your rack. This allows those speaker wires to flow out with minimal drop and they dont obscure the rest of the equipment.

Above the receiver put devices that you never touch (DSS receiver, CATV box, etc).

Put your MOST USED device (the XBox) at the top so you dont have to bend over to feed it disks/tapes.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks