I need help in reaching a decision.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

It's a big decision I have to make and soon. I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing what I am doing but I also want to make a decent amount of cash. I've decided to finally take the plunge, finish up my degree in college, and never look back. It's taken me a long time but I've narrowed it down to three key areas that I want to get my degree in:

1. Business (more specifically: Leadership and Management).
    2. Music (I love music and really enjoy playing the piano and singing -- I've always wanted to improve my voice and piano playing to a more professional level)
    3. Graphic Design (or art). I enjoy drawing and painting and creating artwork on the computer. I also want to improve my art skills so they're at a professional level (they're rather good already...just not as good as I'd like them to be at yet).

The reason why this is so difficult is that I really enjoy all three areas and the decision is killing me. I've been trying to decide for 2-3 years now. I'm sure as hell not getting any younger and I will be the first male on my father's side of the family to graduate from college. So, there is a little pressure there on my part.

I'm trying desperately to decide on one of the three things as focus cannot be spread out three ways. It's getting to be extremely difficult as I know I'd be very happy doing all three of the above for a living. That makes it all the more difficult.

I wish it was as easy for me as it was for everyone else. Most people my age have already graduated and are making $100K+ per year. Argh. This is frustrating. Hopefully I'll be able to reach a decision soon. This will ultimately be what I am going to do with my life. If I could do all three things at once, I'd love to. But, unfortunately, as we all know, it takes focus to be successful. I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say about this.

Keep in mind that these are things I enjoy, and I would be extremely happy having the privilege of doing all three of these. However, a decision has to be made and soon because the spring semester starts shortly. I need to begin work on my college planning as soon as I can.

2. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

3. AndyDC

AndyDC Agent

Who (else) can say, and having lived most of one life doesn't make me an expert. But I remember clearly a time in college when I couldn't decide between on the on one hand physics/economics and on the other literature/art etc. Now, I've regretted many decisions in my life, but not the one to go with something in the first group. Of course you need to like your work. But liking to do something (art, music) doen'st make it a good career. There will be plenty of time to enjoyr music in your life (I now play trumpet in a band, listen to my sound system, and could do more if I wanted to, for example). The art is harder, because it's more like an actual career. But maybe not that much more like one.

4. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I'm making over $100K a year but it was a long time coming. First a BA in physics and an MA in applied math. Then 17 years working as a EE. Then back to school for a JD. Finally in my late '40s I made that kind of money as a patent attorney.

Music is a heartbreaking profession. No matter how good you are very few make a real living at it. Becoming a superstar is a mater of luck and connections as much as talent.

Possibly you should study business/graphic arts and work towards eventually running your own graphics arts business. But you aren't going to start doing that.

6. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I would suggest the business degree also. far mose flexible than the other two. music is not where to go and make lotsa money unless you feel lucky. Graphiv design is very competitive also and not too generous.

Business opens lots of doors. I would suggest you determine which businesses you are most interested in, speak with some people at the level you desire to achieve, and do as they suggest to get there.

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'm slowly creeping up the 100K a year ladder, but only because the value of the US dollar has been falling. [​IMG]

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I would go for the graphic arts. After you get a job you can get a business management degree and play in a piano bar at night!

Glenn

11. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    What Glenn said! [​IMG]

I work in the printing industry. Over the years I have met quite a few successful designers that are running their own business. You could do web design, print design or both. Certainly a business degree would come in handy for running your own small business.

For music, join a band, or do your own thing whenever you find time and opportunity. However, I would recommend it as a hobby, not a living. I friend of mine has been trying to write/sing as a living and it has been very tough. He now has a "real" job so he has some regular income. I would focus on the real job first.

Enjoy!

-Keith