1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I need help identifying this 1976 TV variety show...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MielR, Nov 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 6 Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I figured there is probably no better place to come than here for a crack team of TV experts who can identify which TV variety show this was. It's a photo of KC and the Sunshine Band circa 1976, and I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the distinctive curved pillars on the set? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Message #2 of 6 Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I think it's "Dinah!"

Based on these two clips:

Ok, thanks guys. Glad I could set everyone's minds at ease. Ya'll can go to bed now. -_-

3. Message #3 of 6 Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Ken H

Ken H Second Unit

Ken
    The Midnight Special on NBC also used similar sets in 1973. For reasons unknown, this just came to me out of the blue.

Time 41:48

I also used to watch Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. It had the distinction of FM Stereo simulcast, which was pretty cool at the time. Once I started using my stereo system for this, I watched everything this way, including "Live On CBC, Hockey Night In Canada. (Foster Hewitt) Hello, Canada, and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland...." from CKLW-TV in Windsor, Ontario. With a Pioneer receiver that simulated stereo, and a cold Molson Export in hand, it was just like being at the game.

Then I read a Car & Driver article about hot wiring a 3rd speaker for the Hafler effect, connecting it to the positive of the left and right channel and putting it in the rear of the room forming a triangle with the two left right speakers that flanked the TV. It directed the out-of-phase material to the 3rd speaker and worked well enough to be my first permanent surround audio system.

Ah the '70's....

Richard M S, Brent Reid and MielR like this.
  4. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I knew it wasn't "Midnight Special" because I'm pretty familiar with the sets they used, but when I started checking out YouTube clips of 70s variety shows, "Dinah!" was fortunately the first one I looked at and it just happened to be it! Looks like they've taken down the Michael Jackson clip, but the Bowie clip is still up.

5. Ken H

Ken H Second Unit

Ken
    Good old Dinah. I always liked her, even when she was Burt Reynolds squeeze. What an overbite!

"See the USA, in your Chevrolet......"

RBailey likes this.
  6. Ken H

Ken H Second Unit

Ken
    MWAH!