What's new

I need help identifying this 1976 TV variety show... (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I figured there is probably no better place to come than here for a crack team of TV experts who can identify which TV variety show this was. It's a photo of KC and the Sunshine Band circa 1976, and I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the distinctive curved pillars on the set? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    877.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I think it's "Dinah!"

Based on these two clips:

Ok, thanks guys. Glad I could set everyone's minds at ease. Ya'll can go to bed now. -_-

Last edited:

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
The Midnight Special on NBC also used similar sets in 1973. For reasons unknown, this just came to me out of the blue.

Time 41:48

I also used to watch Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. It had the distinction of FM Stereo simulcast, which was pretty cool at the time. Once I started using my stereo system for this, I watched everything this way, including "Live On CBC, Hockey Night In Canada. (Foster Hewitt) Hello, Canada, and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland...." from CKLW-TV in Windsor, Ontario. With a Pioneer receiver that simulated stereo, and a cold Molson Export in hand, it was just like being at the game.

Then I read a Car & Driver article about hot wiring a 3rd speaker for the Hafler effect, connecting it to the positive of the left and right channel and putting it in the rear of the room forming a triangle with the two left right speakers that flanked the TV. It directed the out-of-phase material to the 3rd speaker and worked well enough to be my first permanent surround audio system.

Ah the '70's....

Last edited:

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The Midnight Special on NBC also used similar sets in 1973. For reasons unknown, this just came to me out of the blue.

I knew it wasn't "Midnight Special" because I'm pretty familiar with the sets they used, but when I started checking out YouTube clips of 70s variety shows, "Dinah!" was fortunately the first one I looked at and it just happened to be it! Looks like they've taken down the Michael Jackson clip, but the Bowie clip is still up.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Good old Dinah. I always liked her, even when she was Burt Reynolds squeeze. What an overbite!

"See the USA, in your Chevrolet......"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks