What's new

I need help from some really smart electronics people (1 Viewer)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have 10 books laying on the floor and I can not find my speaker ohm calculation formulas for calculating ohms in series and parallel with speakers of different ohms . Help!!! Never mind, I found it. I can't read. What's new????//:angry:
Hey! I noticed 78 people read this post. That means we should have 78 posts on the boot camp thread.:D

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Resistance in series is additive. In parallel it is done per branch of parallel resistance.

IE: in a simple two branch parallel resistive circuit:

Rt= 1/(1/R1)+(1/R2)

Hope this helps.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Just thought of a better example. Lets say you wire a total of five 8 ohm speakers in parallel.....Your total resistance is going to be 1.6 ohms assuming my late night math skills are up to par.

No genius involed with this..........This is the most basic of basic.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
We need a post in the basics thread on magna planner speakers. How they are designed and how they work!!!:D

Sankar

Second Unit
Stephen has aptly described the relationships. Resistance in series is additive:

Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ....

If they are in parallel, you just take the reciprocals

(1/Rt) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3) + ....

Hence, in his example of five 8 ohms speakers in parallel:

(1/Rt) = 5 * (1/8) = 5/8 => Rt = 8/5 = 1.6 ohms

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link Larry!!!! You guys, need to add to the goat rope in the basics thread if you havn't already.

Go check out my post on speakers and OHMS with links.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Dave, Your as bad as me! I added to the post, that I was blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other. I found it when I turned the page. It is on my post of links at the basic info thread in the pull down menu up top. Thanks guys!!!!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thanks again! These have been added to my contribution in the basics area, which is in its infancy on my part. Maybe my post will evolve into something more substantial.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks