What's new

I need help finding a receiver for $700 (1 Viewer)

RyanA

Auditioning
I am looking to purchase a receiver and speakers. I would like to spend about 2000 on the whole system. In the receiver i want 6.1 dts, and dolby pro logic 2. I have looked at Marantz, Yamaha, and Onkyo, and wonder if there are any others in the price range of $700. The speakers that i was looking at were enery and nuance however i am open to suggestions.

Ryan

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Marantz, yamaha and onkyo are all fine..but you need to add the denon 3802, sony DA3ES and HK AVR520 on to your list as they can all be had for 800.00 and under..

RyanA

Auditioning
I have heard that there are problems with the marantz receivers, is this just a few issolated problems or is it common?, should i avoid purchasing a marantz until this is fixed?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
The problem was primarily a clicking or popping sound whenever the mute circuit was engaged (e.g. between tracks on a CD). It was pervasive, not necessarily isolated. Marantz says they have fixed it in all new receivers coming off the assembly line as of 2 months ago. I would make sure you can demo it before buying a Marantz.

The new Onkyo 600 will have all those features and probably street for about $425. It isn't out for a few weeks though. There will also probably be a 700 model though we haven't seen the specs yet. These new models will all have more features for the $$.

StevenS

Auditioning
Hi, HK520 doesn't have 6 channel amplifier, so forget it.
I bought an Onkyo 797 (THX, 6ch, DPII, DTS-ES, etc.) in JandR (www.j&r.com) for $720 (negotiated by the phone very easily, just say you know the guy who got it for this price) + $30 delivery. They are authorized dealers for Onkyo, Sony and maybe Denon.
BTW, they are having good prices for everything:
Denon 3802 ~ $800, Onkyo 797 ~ 800, Sony 3ES ~700.
I'm happy with my Onkyo.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, are you talking $700 Canuck Bucks or US dollars? I don't know if you can find a good quality 6.1 receiver for $700 CAN. A&B Sound in Calgary had a Denon 3802 for $1600CAN that could be haggled down I'm sure. Maybe the 2802 would do ya. Yamaha RX-V 1200 is around $1000. London Drugs might deal on Onkyo 797 but still over a grand probably. Maybe a Sony DB-1070, nice lookin' unit or step-up to their ES line.
As for speakers, steer clear of the NUANCE product, kind of an odd company who won't let independant reviewers test their speakers and they are over priced. Energy are nice, PSB, Paradigm, Klipsch, Monitor, Tannoy. Audio Ark has some nice stuff in Edmonton don't they? Maybe check them out. Just for an example system I was quoted on from A&B Sound, PSB Image: 5t's mains, 9c center, 2b surrounds, all for $1600CAN taxes in. A 20% discount on speakers should be attainable. I too am looking for new speakers, probably the above package. Happy Hunting.
Steve

RyanA

Auditioning
Steve,

I was thinking that i would be looking at a reciever for about 900 canadian and see what type of deal i could get on it with the speakers. How much are the denon recievers in canada?also that speaker package you talk about does it include a sub?

thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks