I need help deciding!!!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Baldwin, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Mike Baldwin

Mike Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Ok for right now this is my equipment.

Toshiba 51" 51H83 HDTV
    Paradigm PDR-8
    Paradigm Cinema 70's surround System
    Pioneer VSX-307 prologic outdated peice of metal...lol
    XBOX
    Emerson DVD/VHS player(gf's)lol

I need either a receiver or seperates. I want to do seperate so I can upgrade later but money come into factor.

My options are either I can try and find a deal on a elite 45tx and call it good. Also I can get a parasound 6 channel (80roms per channel) amp for $350 and all I would need would be a nice Pro/pre maybe a lexicon DC-1. That would be nice for rougly a littl emore then the elite 45. What about the CP-3+ from lexicon. I want DTS/THX if possible. I have a huge collection of DVD's to watch, but litsen to the radio and music whenever I am just around the apartment. I would something that have the ability to upgrade. I am aslo going to get all Blue Jean cables so I need something that is quality. After all this is put together I want floor standing speakers, prob the studio line from paradigm. But the priority is the processor/receiver. What does everyone recommend. I don't want to blow my paradigm I have so I would be happy with 100 per channel. Thanks and sorry if this is a long post. I just need some quide lines. Thanks alot

Mike

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

My 2ยข...

Sounds like a master plan to upgrade most everything, including the all-important speakers... for a little more money consider this:

Rotel RSX-1055 receiver... 7.1 with a configurable 75 x 5 amp... $1100... no THX, but they do feature proprietary processing along the same lines (IMO, THX is not a deal-breaker).

Since you're mostly movies, I'd go for a piece that has A) the latest processing capabilities (which rules out the older Lexicons - nice as they are), and B) a serious internal power amp (the Pioneer's one weak spot).

It could serve as a serious prepro for years to come... before, during and after your other upgrades.

3. Mike Baldwin

Mike Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks greg. honestly thou, that might be a few hundred dollars out of my budget. What would you suggest one or two steps down. I really like that rotel thou, never considered it thou. I am now.

Do you suggest I stay away from seperates like doing a pro/multi-channel amp/ect. So whats wrong with my speakers...lol Honestly I think they sound pretty good for satalites. I just got them 2 months ago to replace my KLH's...lol Thanks

Mike

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Mike,

Your satalites most likely sound very nice. But IMHO and what Greg may have been trying to say? Is that satalite speakers for the most part do not truely compair with higher end full size speakers. Most of the minature satalites use a small paper driver to handle both midrange and high frequencies. IMHO speakers that have a decent size woofer and seperate high quality mids and tweeters. Reproduce more transparent sound that is crisper and cleaner with better seperation.

Depending on your budget I would also agree recomending the Rotel RSX-1055 receiver. But I would also recomend the following for audition at your local audio/video store.

Sunfire Ultimate Reciever
    Sunfire Theater Grand Pre/Pro
    Pioneer Elite Reciever
    Denon 5803, 4803 or 3803 Reciever
    Anthem Pre/Pro

Starting off with a solid reciever with the right features and options is key. Then you can always add power amplifiers to kick it up a notch. You can also start off with a mid priced reciver and use it as a pre/pro and buy a nice amplifier then upgrade the reciever to a pre/pro later after you have finished with other upgrades? When buying a multi channel amp IMHO I would go for an amplifier with a toradle transformer. This will net you much better performance from your amplifier wether it is stereo or multi channel. You can definently find really good multi channel power amplifiers out there, Adcom is a really good one to look at for starters. Just ask yourself what features you need? Will you be inversting in HDTV, HD-DVD or HD Satalite in the near future? Things like that will factor in when chosing a processor/reciever or processor/pre pro. I hope this helps in some way Mike? Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Oooops,

Toshiba 51" 51H83 HDTV

mmmmm should have read your post better, gee I hate brain freeze, lmao :b

6. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Hey Mike

I'm sure your 'Digm Cinemas are fine... but just wait til you move up to Studios and / or floorstanders... shop extensively when the time comes... lotsa good makes out there.

Separates are the best... but if you're sticking to a budget, you may want to just go for a good contemporary receiver now, rather than a used prepro, especially to make the most of your DVD collection... maybe if you don't need such things as DPL2 or multichannel inputs, an older Lexicon with DD/DTS is the way to go -- if you can find one at a right price... new, your only prepro alternative within a budget is Outlaw ($800), which is excellent for movies (but a little bright for music -- strictly my opinion)... I suggested the Rotel as a long-term investment, a solid performer for movies and music, a prepro I could live with for a long, long time while making other upgrades (power amp, speakers)... used as a standalone prepro, it leaves very little to be desired.

If the Rotel is a no-go, other good receivers include Marantz, NAD, Harman Kardon, Denon... each has their pros and cons, and should be auditioned in any event.

Much of this has to do with your usage and personal preferences as well as your budget... I'm sure others will chime in with other opinions... and that's a good thing.

Overlooked the last time... GO HUSKERS!

7. deryck_s

deryck_s Auditioning

i might be hated for saying this but CHECK OUT ONKYO, specifically tx-sr701. T
    HX certification, plenty of power (honest 100RMS per channel) 7.1 upgrade(with extra amp :p) 2nd zone built-in! in addition if you do listen to some music they added "pure-audio" enhancement to add some stage precence and warmth to their neutral sound.
    They retail at 799 but do some batering fry's and circuit city are agressive on these guys and they have some profit to play with, ie. discount on a great value for you.