I need help buying a new sub. JBL Northridge E250P vs Infinity PS-12?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt Sexton, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Matt Sexton

Matt Sexton Auditioning

Ok if I am going to do one of these 12 inch subs which would you pick and why? I know the JBL can be found for just over $200 the Infinity would run me just over $300. I know I can save money and spend $500 and get a svs or whatever but I really dont want to do that. $300 or less is where I want to be. Thanks for your thoughts

2. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

Besides the obvious "My God man save up $200 and get an SVS" LOL

I looked around the net for reviews and the Infinity had this.

Strengths:
    A power switch is a nice addition, in case you'd like to shut off the unit for long periods (vacations, etc.)
    The wood finish is more of a match to my RS-8's and RS-3's.

Weaknesses:
    Weak, empty sounding bass. All the life has been sucked from this subwoofer. I'd recommend an equivalently priced JBL PB12.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I know this is just my opinion but

BWAHAHAHA!

I may not be one of the bass hedz but I know decent bass when I hear it. Right now my local Circuit City has one of these PS12 subs hooked up to an H/K + Infinity system with the sub located in the corner of their @14X20ft demo room. Last time I was there I brought the Beastie's To The 5 Boroughs with me. Maybe this CD didn't have any 20Hz signals on it but that sub produced lots of taut bass I could feel in my gut and pants leg.....and the volume on the sub & the receiver wasn't close to being maxed out. And the bass wasn't boomy either.

But as much as I like JBL's speakers, in three different stores that E250 sub has sounded very boomy. Now, I realise these auditions weren't in a home/properly set up but I heard this model in three different demo locations & each time the same bloated bass came out (fiddling with the xover didn't help much either). I still would give it a chance at home but would be wary of it at the same time.

I think too many pro reviewers have listened to too many 200lb/1 kilowatt/$3,000 subwoofers & their perspective on the amount of bass most people want has become a tad warped.

4. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Consider a Dayton Kit. Probably one of the best subs on the cheap side of the scale, according to many opinions on a few forums.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I'll second the Dayton kit idea. I think they are inexpensive only because 1) they're kits and 2) they aren't a greedy company.

6. Matt Sexton

Matt Sexton Auditioning

but with the kits its more cash to get the 12 that I want...

7. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I wouldn't be so settled on sub size. I'd pay more attention to actual performance.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I agree with Mike again. [​IMG]

A good 12" sub in many rooms can produce very large amounts of bass, more than many people want/need. I have helped enough people set up subs in their homes to know this (and have seen two pissed-off wives get in arguments with their husbands about this right in front of me). This may sound weird, but I would rather have a Velodyne or Infinity with an 8" woofer than MTX's sub with a 12" woofer. The eight inchers can't compete in overall volume level but IMO they sure sound much better (& seem to go almost as low).

Matt, you really need to take a couple CDs/dvds you are familiar with and check out some subs for yourself. I know the retail environment isn't always the best way to hear certain things but you have to start somewhere. If the salesperson balks at playing your music, screw'em, this is YOUR money we're talking about & threaten to go to their competitor if they keep whining. But I admit I guess I'm a strange person: I honestly can't recall the last time I saw another person listening to speakers with their own music or dvd.

Anyway......if your system is in a small living room or especially, in a (non-master) bedroom or an apartment, a 10" subwoofer is the largest I would recommend. Several 8" equipped subs I've heard can generate deep bass too.....just not LOTS of it.

Only you can decide what is right for you--all it takes is to dedicate some time to listen carefully. And DON'T worry about what a salesguy or some shadowy person on the Internet says.

9. Matt Sexton

Matt Sexton Auditioning

Lance thanks for the feedback. I was ableto listen to the ps-12 while watching fast and the furious so that was nice sounded great. As far a the size and have an average aize living room where it will be but its wide open all over the place. The 12 that I had sounded nice and I never thought it was over powering, but Im more into the 12 because it can go a bit lower etc... I cant find the JBL retail to check it out, I just dont know if the 100 bucks is worth it after all they are all made by the same group.