I need help Blocking out the light in my Living room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Omard., Feb 10, 2004.

1. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

My TV ( Sony 46" RPTV HDTV ) is in my living room which has to much light coming in. It has two hugh windows one on either side of the tv with vertical blinds that let to much light in. Then there is a french door at the end of the living room that leads in to the kitchen that causes a hugh glare on the tv. What recommendations do you guys have for this problem?

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

A curtain with a liner called blackout which blocks out 100% of light available at fabric stores/places that sell curtains. A cheap alternative is a rolling shade made of 3 ply vinyl that I use for medium sized windows of my room. I found them at Home Depot.

You could get a DIY curtain kit if you have a sewing machine and can put fabric over the blackout liner.

Either way, you'd probably have to lose the vertical blinds because those will let light seep in.

3. Keith_Hart

Keith_Hart Extra

I have the same problem as Omard. I have a Runco Projector and there is a French door to the left that is letting in to much light during the day. I also have 2 back windows that also bleed in light during the day. Omard I have been looking into two ideas that might be pleasing to the eye. I preference this by saying that I have not done this yet so I can’t tell you if it works or not.

1.I was going to take Chris’s idea of a roll down shade from Home Depot and place it behind the Vertical blinds. That way I don’t lose the vertical blinds look but still can darken the room on demand.
    2.The second method was to get some heavy fabric and hang then over the doors and windows so that they can be pulled back on demand but can be used for the darking the room.

Chris I looked at home depot at the roll down shades and all of them are white but do they really black out the light? It looked like they would just bleed less light but still not really get the job done.

Thanks,
    Keith

4. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

I made some inserts for my windows. Cut cardboard pieces that fit the window exactly. Wrapped them in batting and my wife picked out a material that matched our room and sewed them around the batting covered inserts. They fit really snug so they stay in place when they are put up. The wife ended up liking the look of them so much they pretty much stay up all the time except when she wants to open the windows to let a little air in. 100% light blockage that looks pretty good.

5. ThomasEdison

ThomasEdison Extra

Same problem here. Have a bay window in the living room and the glare is horrible during the day. Thought about replacing my 'standard' plastic blinds with wood blinds. Does anyone know if it will make that big of a difference?

6. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Has anybody ever heard of shades that are not pull down but electric and block out the light 100%? They sort of slide down a Track along the side of the window.

7. AaronCushing

AaronCushing Agent

At the company I used to work at, the boardroom there had big glass doors. On the doors was an accordian-style blackout blind that ran from the top to the bottom in some sort of a channel on each side of the window. The channels were lined with brushes. These were manual units, operated with a pull-chain, but in retrospect, it seems to mee they'd be very adaptable to being motor-driven. THese suckers were TOTALLY dark.

Sorry, I have NO idea on a source, or even a name. But the product is out there. Maybe check with a glass-shop...

8. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

9. Keith_Hart

Keith_Hart Extra

Thomas I have wood blinds in the room I am talking about and they do not do much help. The problem is they are to wide and can't keep much light out. You cut the light amount down but in the end it is not what you are looking for.

Keith

10. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help guys.